Blank Cells,

  1. #1
    Issam LAdki
    Guest

    Blank Cells,

    Thanks for your previous invaluable help, and it seems I need it again.

    I have the following formula in a spreadsheet in Cell E7

    =IF((ISBLANK(D7)),"
    ",(IF((OR(ISTEXT(C7),(ISBLANK(C7)))),D7+TIME(7,0,0),(IF(D7<MOD(C7+TIME(12,0,
    0),1),"ERR",D7+TIME(7,0,0))))))

    It does work as expected except for the first part
    ((ISBLANK(D7))," ",
    Basically, what I am trying to do here is that if D7 is blank, then E7 will
    also be blank, else continue with
    the formula as shown (which incidentally works fine for the rest).

    Thanks in advance for your help in this.

    Issam

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: Blank Cells,

    Hi
    This works OK for me! You seem to have a lot of extra brackets in the
    formula, but I'm guessing that is to help you track which bit does which
    function.

    --
    Andy.

    news:%[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Issam LAdki
    Guest

    Re: Blank Cells,

    Thanks Andy, I cant see where it is going wrong then, becuase with me I get
    #VALUE in cell E7 if D7 is blank. Will keep on trying to sort this out, but
    anyway thanks for your help

  4. #4
    Issam LAdki
    Guest

    Re: Blank Cells,

    Sorry I frogot to mention that D7 does contain a VLOOKUP formula, wonder if
    this makes any difference
    Sorry about this omission

  5. #5
    Guest

    Re: Blank Cells,

    Hi
    It depends on what the VLOOKUP returns to D7!

  6. #6
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    Re: Blank Cells,

    ISBLANK() will always be false if you test a cell that has a formula. You
    may want to test for LEN(D7)=0 instead.

    Don't use so many parantheses in your formula. They make it hard to tell
    what's going on, and easy to inadvertantly group the wrong things together,
    leading to unexpected results that are hard to debug.

    For instance, the first part of your formula

    =IF((ISBLANK(D7)), could be =IF(ISBLANK(D7),

  7. #7
    Issam LAdki
    Guest

    Re: Blank Cells,

    Sorry about delay, but the VLOOK up return either a time, in most cases, or
    in some bases a blank cell.
    Thanks again