Converting dates to a number

  1. #1
    Kathy
    Guest

    Converting dates to a number

    What formula could I use to convert a date of birth into an age?, e.g.,
    06/25/71, 33.

    Yes, I know I can just subtract but is there a formula that can do it?

    Marguerite

  2. #2
    zackb
    Guest

    Re: Converting dates to a number

    A very rough way of doing so, if you don't need to count leap years ...

    =Int((Today()-A1)/365)&" years old"

    Where A1 is the cell which houses your date. Note this MUST be an Excel
    recognized date. To check if it's an Excel recognized date, look here:
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=323

    HTH, and regards,
    Zack Barresse

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Converting dates to a number

    Marguerite

    With early date in A1 and later date or =TODAY() Function in A2

    =DATEDIF(A1,A2,"y") & "years," in A3

    To get finer resolution enter in A3

    =DATEDIF(A1,A2,"y") & "years," & DATEDIF(A1,A2,"ym") & "months,"&
    DATEDIF(A1,A2,"md") & "days,"

    Note: above is all one line.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Andy Wiggins
    Guest

    Re: Converting dates to a number

    Here's a link to DATEDIF that might help you.

    http://www.bygsoftware.com/Excel/functions/datedif.htm

    --
    Regards
    -