How do you sort words in Excel by the number of letters in a word

  1. #1
    Kinger
    Guest

    How do you sort words in Excel by the number of letters in a word

    I have a list of 5,000 words that I need sort by the number of letters in the
    word for my students is this possible to do? The words range from 1 letter
    to 9 letters in a word.

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: How do you sort words in Excel by the number of letters in a word

    with the use of a helper column
    =LEN(A1)

    if you do not want to count spaces
    =LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",""))
    ---
    HTH,

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: How do you sort words in Excel by the number of letters in a word

    in another column (say, column B) enter:

    B1: =LEN(A1)

    and copy down as far as necessary.

    Sort columns A:B using column B as the sort key.

    In article <[email protected]>,