Closed Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Doubling negative number

  1. #1
    GrumpyLP
    Guest

    Doubling negative number

    I have a lists of items in rows 1 through 22. Each item is listed
    individually and has a 1 in the quantity. When I total the column
    using the sum function I get the correct total of 22. However, if I
    want to subtract the item in row 10 by entering a -1 the sum, which
    should be 21, shows as 20. I tried different formats and nothing
    changed. When I entered -.5 into row 10, the sum did show as 21. I
    entered -.75 and the sum returned was again, 20. It appears the
    negative number is being doubled. What am I missing?

    --
    GrumpyLP

  2. #2
    gls858
    Guest

    Re: Doubling negative number

    GrumpyLP wrote:
    > I have a lists of items in rows 1 through 22. Each item is listed
    > individually and has a 1 in the quantity. When I total the column
    > using the sum function I get the correct total of 22. However, if I
    > want to subtract the item in row 10 by entering a -1 the sum, which
    > should be 21, shows as 20. I tried different formats and nothing
    > changed. When I entered -.5 into row 10, the sum did show as 21. I
    > entered -.75 and the sum returned was again, 20. It appears the
    > negative number is being doubled. What am I missing?

    If you put a zero in for the value you have reduced the total
    by 1 (1-1=0)if you put in a -1 you have reduced your total by 2
    1-(-1)=2

    gls858

Closed Thread