Sorting data

  1. #1
    Steve
    Guest

    Sorting data

    Hi
    Is it possible to group data together so that it stays together when I sort
    it alphabetically? I'd like to make a list for example, Police, Fire and
    Ambulance stations. In cell a1 would be Police followed in b1, b2, b3, etc
    the names of the stations. Then in c1,c2,c3 etc the relevant telephone
    numbers. Then in a 4 would be Fire, followed by b4, b5, b6 etc the names of
    the fire stations and then their tel numbers in c4, c5, c6 etc.The same
    applies to Ambulance. Then I'd like to sort col A and keep col b and col c
    together under the proper emergency service
    Hope you can understand what I mean
    TIA
    Steve

  2. #2
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Sorting data

    Steve

    If I understand, you can only realistically do this by putting Police in A2,
    A3, etc. That is list the service multiple times. That way you can then
    sort on service and then station

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    [email protected]HIS

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bill Ridgeway
    Guest

    Re: Sorting data

    Excel doesn't (to my knowledge) allow you to set up a number of sort
    templates so that you can easily sort data in a number of ways. You have to
    set it up every time. One way around this is to set up a data field to
    concatenate the data in the required order (SORT1 may be =A1&B1&C1 and SORT2
    may be B1&A1&C1). You then have to sort on only one field to effectively
    sort on a number of fields. This is also useful if you need to sort on more
    than the three fields allowed. In this form it is only a sort on a
    'string'. You may have to include something like 'value(An)' to sort by
    value. Unfortunately you cannot sort by descending order.

    Regards.

    Bill Ridgeway
    Computer Solutions

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Rodney
    Guest

    Re: Sorting data

    If you need to print the result,
    add another column in between and insert if(a2=a1,"",a2)

    Use A <only> to sort, and B and C to print i format as you desire.

    HTH

  5. #5
    Rodney
    Guest

    Re: Sorting data

    Ooops,

    Sort using A as the initial sort criteria,
    along with other columns that are required
    (eg C and D) leave B containing the formula out of the sort

    | If you need to print the result,
    | add another column in between and insert if(a2=a1,"",a2)
    |
    | Use A <only> to sort, and B and C to print i format as you desire.
    |
    | HTH
    |

    | | Steve
    | |