Excel 2003 (XP), automatic save documents

  1. #1
    Ursula A.
    Guest

    Excel 2003 (XP), automatic save documents

    With the previous excel versions document one could have the file saved
    automatically every Minute if need be. Where is this function in Excel 2003??

    If by error (and it happens too often) one closes a document without having
    saved it manually first, the entire 2 - 3 hour job could be lost, and there
    is no autorecovery file to be found either.

    Can anyone indicate me, if possible with print screens how this precious
    feature can be activated in Excel 2003?
    --
    Many thanks, and have a good day
    Ursula A.

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2003 (XP), automatic save documents

    That feature's not available in XL03. However, Jan Karel Pieterse has an
    add-in available, AutoSafe,

    http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm

    that provides that function.

  3. #3
    Ursula A.
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2003 (XP), automatic save documents

    Great, will try that out immediately. Thanks indeed!

  4. #4
    gls858

    JE McGimpsey wrote:
    > That feature's not available in XL03. However, Jan Karel Pieterse has an
    > add-in available, AutoSafe,
    >
    > http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm
    >
    > that provides that function.
    >

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Ursula A. <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>With the previous excel versions document one could have the file saved
    >>automatically every Minute if need be. Where is this function in Excel 2003??
    >>
    >>If by error (and it happens too often) one closes a document without having
    >>saved it manually first, the entire 2 - 3 hour job could be lost, and there
    >>is no autorecovery file to be found either.
    >>
    >>Can anyone indicate me, if possible with print screens how this precious
    >>feature can be activated in Excel 2003?

    What about tools > Options > save tab. It says AutoRecover,and has
    a time interval. Is this something different from autosave or is it just a
    change in semantics.

    gls858

  5. #5
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2003 (XP), automatic save documents

    Autosave used to save the file every X minutes. This prevented losing a
    significant amount of work if you crashed, but it also saved your file,
    thus preventing you from scrapping everything done in a session.

    AutoRecover saves the *changes* you've made during a session every X
    minutes (starting with the first change) in a temporary file. If XL
    crashes, the temporary file remains on the disk, and when XL is next
    started, it reconstructs the file from the temporary file. When you
    close XL normally, any AR files are automatically deleted.

    If you close XL without saving the file, the file will remain in the
    state in which you opened it.

  6. #6
    gls858

    JE McGimpsey wrote:
    > Autosave used to save the file every X minutes. This prevented losing a
    > significant amount of work if you crashed, but it also saved your file,
    > thus preventing you from scrapping everything done in a session.
    >
    > AutoRecover saves the *changes* you've made during a session every X
    > minutes (starting with the first change) in a temporary file. If XL
    > crashes, the temporary file remains on the disk, and when XL is next
    > started, it reconstructs the file from the temporary file. When you
    > close XL normally, any AR files are automatically deleted.
    >
    > If you close XL without saving the file, the file will remain in the
    > state in which you opened it.
    >

    > In article <Oyk8q#[email protected]>,
    > gls858 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>What about tools > Options > save tab. It says AutoRecover,and has
    >>a time interval. Is this something different from autosave or is it just a
    >>change in semantics.

    Thanks JE I knew there had to be some difference or you would
    have suggested the first time. To me it sounded like the same thing.

    gls858

  7. #7

    Re: Excel 2003 (XP), automatic save documents

    If you have your old (xl2k??) version of autosave.xla, it'll still work with
    xl2002+.