Cell references change when entering new data

  1. #1

    Cell references change when entering new data

    In cell E1, I have the formula =COUNTIF($A1:$C20,$D$1)>5

    If I enter new data in A:C the cell references in the formula change. I
    will be autofilling the formula in column E, so the relative references
    $A1:$C20 will have to change. ie

    Cell E2 =COUNTIF($A2:$C21,$D$1)>5

    How do I use INDIRECT or an alternative function so that the cell
    references do not change when entering data. The simplest formula
    adaptation please, since I will be using the methodology in numerous
    complex/nested formulas.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    RE: Cell references change when entering new data

    To lock A1:C20 using indirect you can use

    =COUNTIF(INDIRECT("$A1:$C20"),$D$1)>5

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

  3. #3
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Cell references change when entering new data

    for E1, replace your $A1:$c20 reference with

    OFFSET(D1,0,-3,20,3)

    & copy it down