Delete all occurrences of a character

  1. #1
    Harleygrrl814
    Guest

    Delete all occurrences of a character

    Hi all! I have a spreadsheet of customer information broken up into 5
    different columns. In the first column, "customer name", all the names are
    followed by the "~" character. I'm hoping there's a way to delete all
    occurrences of this character without manually removing each one.
    Thanks!
    Katie

  2. #2
    Zack Barresse
    Guest

    Re: Delete all occurrences of a character

    Hello,

    Try a Find/Replace, from the Edit menu.

    Zack Barresse, aka firefytr

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Carlos Medrano
    Guest

    Re: Delete all occurrences of a character

    Use the Edit > Replace... in the FIND field type your undesired character
    and in the REPLACE WITH field do not type anothing .. push REPLACE ALL

    mensaje news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Harleygrrl814
    Guest

    Re: Delete all occurrences of a character

    Thanks for the quick reply! I tried that but I must be doing it wrong,
    because it says it can't find any data to replace. And really, there is
    nothing I want to replace it with, I just want the names with nothing else.
    thanks
    kt

  5. #5
    Zack Barresse
    Guest

    Re: Delete all occurrences of a character

    Also make sure you SAVE your work FIRST! After you perform the
    Find/Replace, if it's not what you want, you have the option of Undo'ing or
    closing w/o saving.

    Zack Barresse, aka firefytr

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Delete all occurrences of a character

    Try using ~~ as the find character

    Bob Phillips

  7. #7
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Delete all occurrences of a character

    Edit>Replace

    what: ~~

    Note the double ~~. The tilde(~) is a wildcard character.

    with: nothing

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  8. #8
    Harleygrrl814
    Guest

    Re: Delete all occurrences of a character

    It worked!! Thank you thank you thank you everyone!!
    -Katie

  9. #9
    Zack Barresse
    Guest

    Re: Delete all occurrences of a character

    Thanks for letting us know Katie! Glad you got it working!!