showing a zero

  1. #1
    kgm
    Guest

    showing a zero

    I want to show numbers beginning with 0 (zero) in a cell
    e.g. 0123456.
    Whenever I enter anything, I lose the zero.
    Help please for a beginner!

    kgm

  2. #2
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: showing a zero

    You can Format the cell as text, (Right click the cell, 'Format Cells' >
    'Number' > check 'Text') before you enter the value, or prefix the number
    with `
    like '015472. The ` will show in the formula bar, but not in the cell. Note
    that if you do this the number will be text, not a true number and certain
    functions may not behave as expected'
    Regards,
    Alan.
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    kgm
    Guest

    Re: showing a zero

    Thanks Alan,
    as the old saying goes - it's easy when you know how !

    kgm
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: showing a zero

    Your welcome, stay on these groups, its where I learnt 90% of what I know,