In excel - how to total column if am not sure of the last cell

  1. #1
    PFHMoney
    Guest

    In excel - how to total column if am not sure of the last cell

    I am attempting to track mileage within an excel spreadsheet... with each
    entry being enter into the spreadsheet similar to that of a checkbook
    register...

    I have no idea how many entries there will be for the year, so my question
    is how to have a running total of sorts whereby the last entry (be it 2 or
    200 cells later) will have a total?

  2. #2
    Michael
    Guest

    RE: In excel - how to total column if am not sure of the last cell

    Hi
    Say your data is in columns A to D, and your mileages are in D, In cell E1,
    put
    =SUM(D:D)
    This will sum everythin in column D, and your total will always be in the
    same location regardless of column length

    HTH
    Michael
    --
    Michael Mitchelson

  3. #3
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    RE: In excel - how to total column if am not sure of the last cell

    Or if the OP never leaves any blanks in-between one can use a dynamic range
    click insert>name>define, give it a name like MyRange, in the Refers to box
    put

    =OFFSET(Sheet1!$D$1,,,COUNTA(Sheet1!$D:$D),)

    click OK

    then use

    =SUM(MyRange)

    which will adapt to any new entries in the D column

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

  4. #4
    Michael
    Guest

    RE: In excel - how to total column if am not sure of the last cell

    Good Point Peo.
    However, I was sticking with KISS principle
    Michael
    --
    Michael Mitchelson

  5. #5
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: In excel - how to total column if am not sure of the last cell

    As I read your question you want the total to be the LAST entry in the
    column. If so, just put in your cell a21 =sum(a2:a20) if row 20 is your last
    row. Then insert new rows before the sum formula and Excel will adjust or
    put your total at the TOP and use =sum(a2:a2000). Or, you can use a
    worksheet change macro to automate replacing the last cell with the total
    regardless of what you do or where you put the new figure.

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...