go from last column to first column, next row?

  1. #1
    QAguy
    Guest

    go from last column to first column, next row?

    I knnow there is a way to "teach" my spreadsheet the range I am entering data
    into. But I don't remember how. The actice cell is supposed to go from the
    last data entry column in the current row, to the first column in the next
    row. All I had to do was hit "Enter" and I was ready to enter the next
    record. Does anybody remember how?

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: go from last column to first column, next row?

    QA Guy,

    You need to select all the cells first. And your movement after entry need
    to be set to move to the right.

    Or, you could use a selection change event, but that is much more
    complicated.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    QAguy
    Guest

    Re: go from last column to first column, next row?

    Bernie,

    That did help some, and is along the lines of what I used to be able to do.
    And it cetainly did not involve 'events' or ScaryQuirkyLanguage (SQL). But
    your way the cells stayed selected, and each time I clicked in a cell I had
    to re-select the range AND 'enter' my way through ALL the records and columns
    to get back to where I was entering info. Maybe my memory is bad, but I
    could have sworn there was a way to get the same results WITHOUT the white on
    black of selected cells.

    Would it work if I 'named' the range?

  4. #4
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: go from last column to first column, next row?

    QAguy, how about unlocking the cells you want to enter data in and then
    protecting the sheet, select only unlocked cells, will that work? Other wise
    I think you would need some VBA as Bernie said
    --
    Paul B
    Using Excel 2002 & 2003

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: go from last column to first column, next row?

    Assuming you start entering data in column A and want to go across to
    F1.........

    Use the TAB key when leaving A1 to go to B1 then C1, D1, E1, F1 as you enter
    the data.

    When leaving F1, hit the <ENTER> key to drop to A2.

    The <ENTER> key will drop down 1 row and go back to the column in which you
    started.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  6. #6
    QAguy
    Guest

    Re: go from last column to first column, next row?

    THAT'S IT ! Thank you all. As soon as I switched 'Move selection after
    Enter" back to Down, the TAB method worked perfectly. I knew it was a simple
    skill I had forgotten.

    Gord, thanks again. BTW, it is A1 to AG1, which is why I was desparate to
    remember your solution. :-)

  7. #7
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: go from last column to first column, next row?

    Thanks for the feedback.

    A1 to AG1 is a long way to run.

    Gord

  8. #8
    jquilt
    Guest

    Re: go from last column to first column, next row?

    I was wondering how do you set the spreadsheet to move from one column to the
    next after your cells are password protected? For example, I want in set the
    spreadsheet for input of data from Cells A10 thru A20 and then go to B10 and
    input data down to B20. I want to do this by using the enter key or the tab
    key. Any suggestions? Thanks