new user with easy question? not easy for me

  1. #1

    new user with easy question? not easy for me

    this may be very very simple but for some reason i cant understand this.
    i have many many rows of information, and i would like to calculate the sums of say col 1, col 3, col 5, etc...but for each new row i dont want to have to manually revise each cell to say sum(a1+c1+e1, etc...) and then sum(a2+c2+e2, etc...)
    for hundreds of rows, this is very tedious.
    can someone help me?

  2. #2
    Forum Expert
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,256
    Here is one option:

    To sum every second column
    =SUMPRODUCT((A1:AA1)*(MOD(COLUMN(A1:AA1),2)))

    To sum every second row
    =SUMPRODUCT((A1:AA1)*(MOD(ROW(A1:AA1),2)))

    Change 2 to 3 to sum every third row.

    Hope it helped
    Ola Sandström

  3. #3
    by doing so ola, will it fix the problem of revising each result cell?
    for example, instead of writing out my results cell formula as sum(a1+b1+c1+d1...) for row 1 and then sum(a2+b2+c2+d2...) for row 2 and then sum(a3+b3+c3+d3...) for row 3...and so on. this is my main problem. if you can help me with this, i would greatly appreciate this.
    thank you for the every other column solution.
    thanks!

  4. #4
    Forum Expert
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,256
    If you want to sum Every cell, use =SUM(A1:AA1)
    Ola

  5. #5
    George Gee
    Guest

    Re: new user with easy question? not easy for me

    speakeztruth

    If the result of your formula for the first row is in say F1.
    Make F1 the active cell.
    Move your cursor to the bottom right of the cell, the cursor becomes a black
    cross, drag this down to the next row, or down however many rows you wish
    the formula to appear in.
    This copies the formula, and automatically adjusts the references for that
    row.

    George Gee

    *speakeztruth* has posted this message:

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: new user with easy question? not easy for me

    You never need SUM and +. At least you need

    =SUM(A1,B1,...)

    but when the cells are contiguous you can just specify the start and end
    cell

    =SUM(A1:M1)

    or if you want the whole row

    =SUM(1:1)