replacing only zeros

  1. #1

    replacing only zeros

    Hello,
    I have an excel spread sheet that contains numerous zeros in cells.
    I would like to replace the zeros with the words hi; however I do not
    want to replace zeros in cells that are part of other numbers like
    2.07. I would like the cell that has the value 2.07 to remain 2.07 but
    a cell with the value of 0 should be changed to hi.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: replacing only zeros

    If your zero's are the results of formulas, you can wrap your formulas in an
    IF statement, like

    =IF((YourFormula)=0,"hi",(YourFormula))

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: replacing only zeros

    If your zeroes are *not* the results of a formula, you could try,
    <Edit> <Replace>,

    Enter 0 in the "Find What" box,
    And "hi" (no quotes) in the "Replace With" box,
    And *CHECK*
    "Find Entire Cells Only"

    Then <Replace All>

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: replacing only zeros

    You can use formatting to change the zero cells:

    Select all the cells that you want to format
    Choose Format>Cells
    Select the Number tab
    Select the Custom Category
    In the text box, type: General;General;"hi"
    Click OK

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List