White Space in a Cell

  1. #1
    Gina O'Brien
    Guest

    White Space in a Cell

    Hello

    I'm collating a lot of spreadsheets that many other
    people have filled in onto one big spreadhseet template.

    My problem is that there is a free text cell and, because people
    dont know about the 'alt & enter' option, they've hit the space bar
    many many times make it look like a new point starts on a new line.

    In Word, you have the option of showing all the keyboard strokes
    so you can tell what people have done - but I'm finding I'm having
    to go into each free text cell and hit delete, then the cell magically
    shifts up so that there is no white space.

    Any ideas? My document is currently 200 pages long and I'm
    nowhere near done!

    Gina

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: White Space in a Cell

    There is a feature in ASAP Utilities that should handle this
    nicely......Text > "Delete leading, trailing and excessive spaces"...

    ASAP Utilities is a free add-in available at
    www.asap-utilities.com

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: White Space in a Cell

    Another way to try might be to use TRIM()

    Try along these lines in a spare copy

    Assuming the text is entered in Sheet1 in say, A1:D20

    In a new Sheet2:

    Put in A1: =TRIM(Sheet1!A1)
    Copy across to D1, fill down to D20
    This should remove all the extraneous spaces

    Then just select A1:D20 and do a copy > paste special > values > ok to
    overwrite the original range in Sheet1. And then delete Sheet2
    --
    Rgds
    Max