Data from several worksheets

  1. #1
    DianeMcP
    Guest

    Data from several worksheets

    I've read some of the existing questions/answers ..... and I'd like to ask.....

    I'm using Excel 2002/XP. I currently have one file (Task List) with 6
    worksheets (Areas of Responsibility) and four columns (Name, What, Start
    Date, Deadline). Each row is a different task.

    I would like to be able to retrieve my file and request that it gives me a
    new screen with all the tasks with a deadline of a specific date.

    Can this be done? If yes, how?
    I'm relatively new to Excel and do not know much about visual basic codes.

    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

    --
    Diane

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Data from several worksheets

    Diane,

    Your current spreadsheet architecture makes that difficult.

    Instead, insert a new sheet, and on that sheet make 5 columns: Areas of
    Responsibility, Name, What, Start Date, Deadline.

    Then copy the tables from the 6 worksheets into the last four columns, one
    below the other. In the first column, enter the name of the worksheet from
    which you copied each section.

    Do that for all 6 worksheets, then delete the original worksheets.

    You will then have a database, and you can apply data filters to it, and
    view your data any way you want, such as by deadlines of a specific date,
    simply by selecting your table, then using Data | Filter... Autofilter.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    DianeMcP
    Guest

    Re: Data from several worksheets

    Hi Bernie,

    Thanks very much for your reply.

    I did want you suggested and I don't really have to apply any Data |
    Filters, because sorting by Dates will also give me all the items required by
    the same day. Sorting doesn't give me a separate screen/worksheet that lists
    any one date, but it will arrange my list so that the dates are listed
    together.

    I haven't been able to understand the language/coding required for applying
    filters. If I did, however, want a report/sheet with only a specific date,
    what would I have to put and where?

    Is there a listing somewhere of codes/syntax to be used .... hopefully with
    some sample data sheets and sample reports?

    --
    Thanks,
    Diane

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Data from several worksheets

    > ... If I did, however, want a report / sheet
    > with only a specific date,
    > what would I have to put and where?

    One play which would deliver this ..

    Assume the source data is now in Sheet1, cols A to D*, data from row2 down,
    with the key col = col D ("DeadLine")
    *Name, What, StartDate, DeadLine

    Assuming 2 empty cols to the right, cols E & F

    Put in F1: =IF(Sheet2!A1="","",Sheet2!A1)

    Put in E2: =IF(D2="","",IF(D2=$F$1,ROW(),""))

    Copy E2 down to say, E100
    to cover the max expected data range in cols A to D

    (Leave E1 empty)

    In Sheet2
    ----------
    A1 will be reserved for input of the deadline of interest
    Input a date into A1, say: 01-Jul-2005

    Paste the same col headers into A2:D2, viz.:
    Name, What, StartDate, DeadLine

    Put in A3:

    =IF(ISERROR(SMALL(Sheet1!$E:$E,ROWS($A$1:A1))),"",INDEX(Sheet1!A:A,MATCH(SMA
    LL(Sheet1!$E:$E,ROWS($A$1:A1)),Sheet1!$E:$E,0)))

    Copy A3 across to D3, fill down to D101
    (cover the same range as in col E in Sheet1)

    Format cols C and D as dates

    Sheet 2 will auto-extract only the rows from Sheet1 where the deadlines are
    equal to the date input in A1. These will be bunched neatly at the top, with
    blank rows below.

    Adapt to suit ..

    --
    Rgds
    Max

  5. #5
    DianeMcP
    Guest

    Re: Data from several worksheets

    Hi Max,

    I've put all the coding in my columns, but how do I tell it to do the
    extraction.
    I've checked all the coding (and see that some of it changes based on the
    column that it's in - nice to see that happen automatically). Is there a
    button to press or pull-down command?
    --
    Thanks,
    Diane

  6. #6
    DianeMcP
    Guest

    Re: Data from several worksheets

    Update: I went back and noticed that the equal sign was missing from your
    first command for F1. When not in those columns, there are numbers showing
    up in them. In F1, I have "38520" showing. In F2, the number 2; in F6, the
    number 6, and in F7, the number 7. Is this normal? What are they related to?
    --
    Thanks,
    Diane

  7. #7
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Data from several worksheets

    > In F1, I have "38520" showing.

    This is a date. If you format F1 as date, you'll see:17 Jun 2005

    > In F2, the number 2; in F6, the number 6, and in F7,
    > the number 7. Is this normal? What are they related to?

    Think you've put the formulas in the wrong cells. All of the above F2, F3,
    etc should be E2, E3, etc. The formulas are supposed to be In col E (from E2
    down), not col F, re the earlier steps given:

    > Put in E2: =IF(D2="","",IF(D2=$F$1,ROW(),""))
    > Copy E2 down to say, E100 ..

    Here's a sample file with implemented set-up:
    http://flypicture.com/p.cfm?id=67949

    (Right-click on the link: "Download File"
    at the top in the page, just above the ads)

    File: DianeMcP_newusers.xls

    --
    Rgds
    Max

  8. #8
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Data from several worksheets

    > > In F2, the number 2; in F6, the number 6, and in F7,
    > > the number 7. Is this normal? What are they related to?

    Having taken care of the core bits earlier <g>, here's some additional
    clarification. Col E in Sheet1 is a helper criteria column which returns
    arbitrary row numbers for those rows in Sheet1 which satisfy the "filter"
    criteria (i.e. the deadlines which match with the deadline of interest input
    in Sheet2's A1) and returns blanks ("") for other rows which don't satisfy.
    These numbers: 2, 6, 7, ... etc are then read by the formulas in Sheet2
    (from row3 down) to extract rows which satisfy the criteria nicely to the
    top over there.

    > > Is there a button to press or pull-down command?

    For Sheet2's A1, instead of keying-in the deadline of interest, we could
    create a data validation (DV) dropdown to select the date.

    Try this:

    Insert a new Sheet3
    Enter in A1, say: 01-Jun-05
    Copy A1 down to A214 to generate sequential dates
    all the way to 31-Dec 2005

    With A1:A214 selected, click inside the Namebox*, input a name: DateList,
    press ENTER (this creates a named range for use in the DV
    *the box with the drop arrow just to the left of the formula bar

    In Sheet2:
    Click Window > Unfreeze Panes
    (In Excel 97 - my version, DVs above/to the left of frozen panes will not
    work. That's the reason for this precaution.)

    Select cell A1
    Click Data > Validation
    Under Allow: select "List"
    Put in "Source:" box: =DateList
    Click OK

    Now when you click on A1, there should be a droplist appearing for you to
    select the deadline of interest

    Here's a revised sample file with implemented DV droplist:
    http://flypicture.com/p.cfm?id=67997

    (Right-click on the link: "Download File"
    at the top in the page, just above the ads)

    File: DianeMcP_newusers_2.xls
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  9. #9
    DianeMcP
    Guest

    Re: Data from several worksheets

    Just to clarify your thoughts below......I've put in "--->" to show my
    replies amongst the answers below....
    --
    Thanks,
    Diane

    "Max" wrote:

    > > In F1, I have "38520" showing.

    > This is a date. If you format F1 as date, you'll see:17 Jun 2005

    --->This is the column on Sheet1 where you told me to put in the coding.

    > > In F2, the number 2; in F6, the number 6, and in F7,
    > > the number 7. Is this normal? What are they related to?

    > Think you've put the formulas in the wrong cells. All of the above F2, F3,
    > etc should be E2, E3, etc. The formulas are supposed to be In col E (from E2
    > down), not col F, re the earlier steps given:
    >
    > > Put in E2: =IF(D2="","",IF(D2=$F$1,ROW(),""))
    > > Copy E2 down to say, E100 ..

    > Here's a sample file with implemented set-up:
    > http://flypicture.com/p.cfm?id=67949
    >
    > (Right-click on the link: "Download File"
    > at the top in the page, just above the ads)
    >
    > File: DianeMcP_newusers.xls

    --->My original workbook included different sheets. I took those sheets and
    inserted them in column A as subjects, so I had to adjust your instructions
    one column over. So I actually have Subject, Name, What, StartDate, Deadline
    as my colunn headings in row 1.

  10. #10
    DianeMcP
    Guest

    Re: Data from several worksheets

    I'm not sure if having that huge pulldown list for dates will be of any help.
    It will sometimes take less time to enter a date than to find it on the
    pulldown list.

    My next question, however, is ......on Sheet two when, in A1, when I do
    select a date, is there a special command to get a listing of deadlines for a
    range of dates (say 17-Jun-05 to 4-Jul-05)?
    --
    Thanks,
    Diane

  11. #11
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Data from several worksheets

    > --->This is the column on Sheet1 where you told me to put in the coding.
    > ... so I had to adjust your instructions one column over.
    > So I actually have Subject, Name, What, StartDate, Deadline
    > as my colunn headings in row 1.

    Thanks for clarifying. If you had adjusted correctly earlier, then what's
    described for col E will apply to col F. And the formula meant to be in F1
    should now reside in G1 instead. F1 should now be left empty. And the
    formulas in Sheet2 should now point to col F instead of col E, etc. Guess
    I'm not really sure from your earlier comments whether the F1 to G1, and the
    F1 left empty adjustment parts, etc were correctly done. In any case, think
    the sample file provided ought to have clarified the suggested construct
    sufficiently for any further adaptations to be done.
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  12. #12
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Data from several worksheets

    "DianeMcP" wrote
    > I'm not sure if having that huge pulldown list for dates will be of any

    help.
    > It will sometimes take less time to enter a date than to find it on the
    > pulldown list.

    Well, you did ask for a pull down option, didn't you ? <g>
    It was simply an illustration of what's possible with a DV droplist.

    > My next question, however, is ......on Sheet two when, in A1,
    > when I do select a date, is there a special command
    > to get a listing of deadlines for a range of dates
    > (say 17-Jun-05 to 4-Jul-05)?

    Think we would need to revise the formula in the criteria col E in Sheet1 to
    now pick out the defined range of dates instead of just a match for a single
    deadline input in Sheet2's A1

    For example:

    Instead of putting in E2: =IF(D2="","",IF(D2=$F$1,ROW(),""))

    Put in E2 something like:
    =IF(D2="","",IF(AND(D2>=$F$1,D2<=$F$1+14),ROW(),""))
    and then just copy E2 down as before

    The above will now pick out all the deadlines in Sheet1's col D which fall
    between the date entered in Sheet2's A1 up till and inclusive of a date 14
    days ahead. The flexibility is hence there for you to specify by revising
    the criteria formula in E2 to suit.
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  13. #13
    DianeMcP
    Guest

    Re: Data from several worksheets

    The file that you linked to did indeed look like the results I was getting
    (including the 38504 date code and the numbers in the rows that were the
    resulting rows that were specified for Sheet2 A1).

    On Sheet2, in A1, is there a way to specific a date range (say from
    17-Jun-05 to 04-Jul-05)?

    --
    Thanks,
    Diane

  14. #14
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Data from several worksheets

    > On Sheet2, in A1, is there a way to specific a date range (say from
    > 17-Jun-05 to 04-Jul-05)?

    Posted the response below to your question earlier in the other branch:

  15. #15
    DianeMcP
    Guest

    Re: Data from several worksheets

    Sorry for the double questions being asked.....I don't see my question posted
    for quite a while after a response.....so I end up posting twice. That will
    stop.....I promise....
    --
    Thanks,
    Diane

  16. #16
    DianeMcP
    Guest

    Re: Data from several worksheets

    see "-->" inserts below.....
    --
    Thanks,
    Diane

    "Max" wrote:

    > "DianeMcP" wrote
    > > I'm not sure if having that huge pulldown list for dates will be of any

    > help.
    > > It will sometimes take less time to enter a date than to find it on the
    > > pulldown list.

    > Well, you did ask for a pull down option, didn't you ? <g>
    > It was simply an illustration of what's possible with a DV droplist.

    --->My pull-down was in relationship to how to get the command to start -
    but that was also before I realized that one of the commands was missing the
    "=" sign.
    I do appreciate the extra option, though. It also explains to me how to use
    something like this should I need it in the future. THANKS!

    > > My next question, however, is ......on Sheet two when, in A1,
    > > when I do select a date, is there a special command
    > > to get a listing of deadlines for a range of dates
    > > (say 17-Jun-05 to 4-Jul-05)?

    > Think we would need to revise the formula in the criteria col E in Sheet1 to
    > now pick out the defined range of dates instead of just a match for a single
    > deadline input in Sheet2's A1
    >
    > For example:
    >
    > Instead of putting in E2: =IF(D2="","",IF(D2=$F$1,ROW(),""))
    >
    > Put in E2 something like:
    > =IF(D2="","",IF(AND(D2>=$F$1,D2<=$F$1+14),ROW(),""))
    > and then just copy E2 down as before
    >
    > The above will now pick out all the deadlines in Sheet1's col D which fall
    > between the date entered in Sheet2's A1 up till and inclusive of a date 14
    > days ahead. The flexibility is hence there for you to specify by revising
    > the criteria formula in E2 to suit.

    --->Great - I'll try that!
    > --
    > Rgds
    > Max
    > xl 97
    > ---
    > GMT+8, 1° 22' N 103° 45' E
    > xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com

    --->Thanks VERY much for all your assistance. It's GREATLY appreciated.
    Diane

  17. #17
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Data from several worksheets

    You're welcome, Diane !
    Thanks for the feedback
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  18. #18
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Data from several worksheets

    No prob, there may always be times when the "system" goes down <g>.
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  19. #19
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Data from several worksheets

    Here's a new link to the revised sample file
    with the implemented DV droplist:
    http://www.savefile.com/files/6718156

  20. #20
    sheri
    Guest

    RE: Data from several worksheets

    Hope you can help. I'm trying to enter a formula to calculate year to date
    variance from 2004-2005. Data for '04' is on another worksheet. How do I
    enter the formula
    I'm using Excel 2003.

    Thanks

  21. #21
    Gordon
    Guest

    Re: Data from several worksheets

    "sheri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hope you can help. I'm trying to enter a formula to calculate year to date
    > variance from 2004-2005. Data for '04' is on another worksheet. How do I
    > enter the formula
    > I'm using Excel 2003.

    In the cell you want the variance to appear, type "+" (without the quotes),
    then click on the Year to Date total on the 05 sheet, then type "-" (again
    without the quotes), then click on the 04 sheet tab, and click on the 04 YTD
    total cell. Hit "enter". Job done!

  22. #22
    DianeMcP
    Guest

    Re: Data from several worksheets

    Max,

    I've got another question for you.......

    If we then wanted to sort Sheet2 results based on A1's heading of Subject,
    how can we do this? The headings from Sheet1 (A through E) have been copied
    to row 2 in Sheet2. When we try to sort the A column (Subject), it sorts the
    column but doesn't sort the rest of the columns. When we highlight the whole
    sheet, it changes A2's heading from the column names to one of the subject
    pulldowns.

    Is there an easy way to get the results for the date we want (Sheet2:A1) and
    then be able to sort by Subject (A column)? or choose other columns to sort
    by column?

    --
    Thanks,
    Diane

  23. #23
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Data from several worksheets

    Try making a frozen copy of Sheet2 (no formulas)
    A couple of clicks will get us there ..

    In Sheet2
    Press CTRL+A (this selects the entire sheet)
    Right-click > Copy

    In a new sheet,
    Right-click on A1 > Paste special > Values > OK
    Right-click on A1 > Paste special > Formats > OK

    Now we can sort as desired in the new sheet..
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  24. #24
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Data from several worksheets

    Missed out one step ..

    In the new sheet, after copy>pasting special as values/formats, we've got to
    delete all the previously "blank" rows below the last row of data before
    sorting. Just select the row headers for these, then right-click > Delete.
    Then do the sort as per normal.
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  25. #25
    DianeMcP
    Guest

    Re: Data from several worksheets

    Thanks Max,
    That worked, once I also deleted the code that came from A1.
    You're GREAT!
    --
    Thanks,
    Diane