Closed Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

worksheet function

  1. #1
    Nadji
    Guest

    worksheet function

    when i put in IFTODAY()-D4>10,SUM(C4,J4),0 it comes up false I also tried
    IFTODAY()-D4>10,C4*5%,0) same thing. Here is an example of what I'm trying
    to get:

    C=Amt pd
    D=date pd
    J=late fee
    K=bal due

    Now I'm trying to get k to find the result of C+J if D is after the 6/10/05
    so if i put $200 in C on the 11th then J should add $25 and K should equal
    $225.

  2. #2
    gls858
    Guest

    Re: worksheet function

    Nadji wrote:
    > when i put in IFTODAY()-D4>10,SUM(C4,J4),0 it comes up false I also tried
    > IFTODAY()-D4>10,C4*5%,0) same thing. Here is an example of what I'm trying
    > to get:
    >
    > C=Amt pd
    > D=date pd
    > J=late fee
    > K=bal due
    >
    > Now I'm trying to get k to find the result of C+J if D is after the 6/10/05
    > so if i put $200 in C on the 11th then J should add $25 and K should equal
    > $225.

    Unless you typed it incorrectly it should be

    =IF(TODAY()-D4>10,SUM(C4,J4),0)
    Notice the equal sign and the extra set of parenthesis.

    gls858

  3. #3
    Nadji
    Guest

    Re: worksheet function

    Thanks but now it comes out to be zero I

  4. #4
    B. R.Ramachandran
    Guest

    Re: worksheet function

    Hi,
    It should be =IF(TODAY()-D4>10,SUM(C4,J4),C4), and this formula goes in K4.
    Better would be, a formula in J4 as =If(TODAY()-D4>10,5%*C4,0)
    and a formula in K4 as =C4+J4. Here, the late fee would be reading 0 till
    10 days after the due date.
    By the way, $25 (late fee) is NOT 5% of the payment due ($200) in your
    example (but in the second formula in your posting you have shown 5%)
    B.R.Ramachandran

  5. #5
    Nadji
    Guest

    RE: worksheet function

    Thanks so much half of the formula is working. When I put ithe formula in J4
    it leaves the box blank even though I changed the date. The actual late fee
    is $25 not 5% I just took a random number($200) I need a formula for J4 to
    pick up on the date and automatically add $25.
    Example:
    C=amt pd
    D=date pd
    E=monthly amt
    J=late fee
    K= bal due

    now I need for J to add $25 late fee if D is later than the 10th and K to
    also recognize if Dis after the 10th then add C,E,J but if not then K will
    equal zero. Is that possible or am I asking too much. ;-} Thanks so much.

  6. #6
    B. R.Ramachandran
    Guest

    RE: worksheet function

    Hi,
    It's confusing. I was under the impression that,
    C4 contains the amount due if paid before due date,
    D4 contains the due date,
    J4 contains the late fee (if payment is made more than 10 days after
    D4), and
    K4 contains the balance due (which would be D4 if paid within 10 days
    after D4 or D4+J4 if paid later than 10 days after.
    But from your recent response it looks like
    C4 contains the amount paid (not the amount to be paid as I thought),
    D4 contains the date when payment was made (not the due date as I
    thought)
    E4 contains the amount due if paid before on or before due date, and
    J4, and K4 as above.
    Is the due date always the 1st of the month and the curstomer has a grace
    period upto the 10th of the month?
    Also, if the payment (C4) is made later than 10th I understand that a $25
    late fee is imposed; but why do you want K4 to be C4+E4+J4 (don't you have to
    SUBTRACT J4 from E4+J4 (i.e., E4+J4-J4), or am I missing something?

    Regards
    B.R.Ramachandran

  7. #7
    Nadji
    Guest

    RE: worksheet function

    Thanks so much for trying to help I know it's confusing. I work for a
    housing program and the tenants have been late with their rents so i'm trying
    to create something so I can track when they pay and if they are late to add
    on a late fee of $25. To answer each question see below:

    Yes if paid before due date C4= amt pd
    No, D4=date money was paid
    Yes, if payment is made 10 days after due date J4=late fee $25
    E4=rent amt (the amount that should be paid but some people pay some so
    there is always a balance due)
    Yes, K4= bal due if the amount due is paid after the 10th or if there is an
    amount that wasn't paid the previous month, or if the rent is paid but not
    the late fee. D4 just determines if J4 is added to bal due.
    yes
    Yes not a due date just the date it was paid. Ihope I havent further
    confused you thanks for all your efort in trying to help me, I am going crazy
    trying to figure this thing out.

  8. #8
    B. R.Ramachandran
    Guest

    RE: worksheet function

    Hi,

    I still have one more question. Is the late fee waived (or imposed) if a
    partial payment is made on or before 11th? So, I am suggesting formulas for
    both scenarios.

    In a blank cell enter the month number (1 for Jan, .... 12 for Dec). I
    have assumed the cell it to be A4 in my formulas. You can use any other cell
    in the same row, eg., X4 or Y4 ....., that suits you instead, and
    appropriately replace A4 by that in the formulas.

    Scenario 1: Late fee is imposed unless payment is made IN FULL before 11th
    of the month.
    In J4 enter the formula
    =IF(MONTH(D4)<A4,0,IF(MONTH(D4)=A4,IF(AND(DAY(D4)<11,C4>=E4),0,25),25))
    In K4 enter the formula
    =E4+J4-C4

    Scenario 2: Late fee is waived if a partial payment is made before the 11th
    of the month.
    In J4 enter the formula
    =IF(MONTH(D4)<A4,0,IF(MONTH(D4)=A4,IF(AND(DAY(D4)<11,C4>=1),0,25),25))
    In K4 enter the formula
    =E4+J4-C4
    (if Scenario 2 is the case, and if you require a certain minimum payment
    before 11th of the month to waive the late fee, for example, $50.00, modify
    the J4 equation where C4>=1 ad C4>=50 (or whatever).

    One more thing you should keep in mind: the formula wouldn't work for
    December (i.e., if someone makes a payment due in December in January, the
    formula would think that the payment was made on time. Since 1<12! I can
    modify the formula to account for that also, but it would get even more
    complex.
    Hope this helps. Regards.

    B. R. Ramachandran

  9. #9
    Nadji
    Guest

    RE: worksheet function

    Thank you so much, I'm sorry I didn't get back o you but i just checked my
    email today, I had to leave that worksheet alone for a few days and get back
    to some other work that i was letting fall behind because i became obsessed
    with this.:-} I will try the formula and let you know what happens. The
    late will not be waived even if it is paid on the 10th at midnight which
    actually becomes the 11th. i guess I will have to figure out what to do for
    dec into jan when that time come once again thank you.

Closed Thread