newbie seeks excel help - please!!

  1. #1
    earthgirluk
    Guest

    newbie seeks excel help - please!!

    hi
    hope someone can help, i have a spreadsheet that has daily sales, monthly
    sales and yearly sales which (forgive my explanation i am a complete newbie
    lol) when i enter a new value in the daily sales, i want the monthly sales
    to increases but also add the previous value, and the same with the yearly
    cell, if you know what i mean.

    A1 A2 A3
    daily sales monthlysales yearly sales
    1 2 3

    at the moment im trying =A1+A2 for cell A2, and =A2+A3 for cell A3, but i
    keep getting a circular reference message,
    ive tried going to tools>options>calculation and doing the iterations but to
    be honest i havent got a clue, it seems such a simple formula, ive looked on
    the net and macros have been mentioned.

    any help would be really appreciated

    thanks

    tracie

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: newbie seeks excel help - please!!

    Using V BA

    On Error GoTo ws_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    If Target.Address = "$A$1" Then
    With Target
    .Offset(0, 1).Value = .Offset(0, 1).Value + .Value
    .Offset(0, 2).Value = .Offset(0, 2).Value + .Value
    End With
    End If

    ws_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = True

    Bob Phillips

    news:%23PA96L%[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: newbie seeks excel help - please!!

    You need to do this with a macro.right click sheet tab>view code>copy/paste
    this>modify to suit>SAVE

    Application.EnableEvents = False
    If Target.Address = "$A$1" And IsNumeric(Target) Then _
    Range("a2").Value = Range("a2") + Target
    Application.EnableEvents = True

    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    [email protected]