Linkedcell protection problem

  1. #1
    Karin
    Guest

    Linkedcell protection problem

    Hi. I am new to Excel (and discussion groups!). I am wondering if someone
    knows how I can fix this problem. I have a combobox that uses the linkedcell
    property to put a value into another cell. I am protecting the entire sheet
    except the combobox. The problem is that this protection is stopping the
    combobox from putting the value into the other cell. Any idea how I can get
    the value from the combobox to go into another cell and yet still protect the
    cell from users editting it?
    Thanks.
    --
    Karin

  2. #2

    protecting cells from modification

    Karin - try this if I understand your dilema. I dont know what Excel you are using but in general try this:

    1) tools/protection/unprotect sheet

    2)select all the cells in your sheet and then format/cells/protection - uncheck "locked" and when box is unchecked click OK.

    3) select your destination cells that you want to protect and then format/cells/protection - then check "locked" then OK.

    4) tools/protection/protect sheet

    I don't believe that the user can modify the destination cells now.

    Good luck Jim Bray

  3. #3
    Karin
    Guest

    Re: Linkedcell protection problem

    Thanks for the reply. I am using Excel 2003 and unfortunately your suggestion
    doesn't do what I am needing. I have the whole sheet protected except for the
    combo box. I want the user to be able to select an item from the combo box
    and have that item appear in a different cell on the same sheet. I am using
    the linkedcell property of the combobox to accomplish this. When the sheet is
    protected, Excel won't put the item in the destination cell. If I unprotect
    the destination cell, the item will appear in the destination cell, but this
    will also allow the user to overwrite what was put in the destination cell. I
    want Excel to put the value in that cell, but not allow a user to change it.
    Does that explain better what I am trying to do?
    Thanks.
    --
    Karin