change a cell colour when entering a letter

  1. #1
    paul42770
    Guest

    change a cell colour when entering a letter

    I am working in excel 2000, and I need to know how to change a colour of a
    cell when I enter a letter. Ie, if I put y for yes in a cell, I want to
    change that cell to say red.

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: change a cell colour when entering a letter

    Use "Conditional Formatting"

    Click on the cell, do Format > ConditionalFormatting > CellValueIs > EqualTo
    > Y > FormatButton > PatternsTab > choose red color block > OK > OK

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    paul42770
    Guest

    Re: change a cell colour when entering a letter

    Thanks
    It was most helpful.
    Paul