[SOLVED] How do I increase the number of additions etc.from 30

  1. #1
    leonperrins
    Guest

    [SOLVED] How do I increase the number of additions etc.from 30

    It appears that I cannot add up more than 30 cells at a time.

    Is this true and/or is there a way round it?

  2. #2
    Bill Ridgeway
    Guest

    Re: How do I increase the number of additions etc.from 30

    Definitely FALSE.

    How are you trying to add? If your formula is something like =a1+a2+a3..
    you may have hit the ?255 character maximum for a formula. If the cells you
    want to add are in a contiguous block(s) it would be better to use something
    like =sum(a1:z999).

    Regards.

    Bill Ridgeway
    Computer Solutions

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    leonperrins
    Guest

    Re: How do I increase the number of additions etc.from 30

    Hello Bill,
    I,m trying to analyse a 'phone bill so they are straight additions but not
    contiguous.
    I found the following:-
    Adds all the numbers in a range of cells.

    Syntax

    SUM(number1,number2, ...)

    Number1, number2, ... are 1 to 30 arguments for which you want the total
    value or sum.

    How do I change the "255" figure?

  4. #4

    Re: How do I increase the number of additions etc.from 30

    The limit is 1024 (when in R1C1 reference style).

    You could use:

    =sum(sum(a1,b1),sum(e1,g1),sum(q1,v1)

    You can use 30 arguements in each sum().

    If the cells that are in the range are non-numeric, you can still use:
    =sum()

    It'll ignore those text entries.

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips

    "Dave Peterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The limit is 1024 (when in R1C1 reference style).
    >
    > You could use:
    >
    > =sum(sum(a1,b1),sum(e1,g1),sum(q1,v1)

    A little more simply with

    =SUM((a1,b1,c1, etc),(e1,g1, etc))

    that is group them within the SUM itself