Cells That Appear Empty?

  1. #1
    Joohn Calder
    Guest

    Cells That Appear Empty?

    Hi

    I run Windows 2000 with Excell 2000. I have recently downloaded a large
    amouth of data from an Access Database and put in to an Excel spreadsheet.
    There are numerous blank cells scattered throughout the data. I discovered
    that when doing some formuals that referenced these cells I was getting
    errors. I soon discovered that ifI deleted the contents of the blank cell
    this would fix the problem, so obviously there is something in the cells that
    I cannot see. At first I thought it was probably a "space" that was in the
    cell but this was not the case. I also thought maybe it was white formatted
    text but this was also not the case. When the curser in in the cell there is
    nothing showing in the edit bar. What I did notice was that if I just
    "placed" the curser on the cell and placed the curser in the edit bar and
    selected ok then it would remove the contents of the cell (whatever they were)

    As anyone any ideas on "what" and how I can remove these "invisible" entries
    easily without doing it indiviually. I could just sort each column of the
    database then delete everthing below the data but as there are many columns
    this would take a long time.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Cells That Appear Empty?

    You can try and use "Edit & Replace", *AFTER* you identify the invisible
    character.

    Say one of these cells was D10.
    Enter this in an unused cell:

    =CODE(D10)

    The value that's returned (32, 10, 160, ... whatever), is what you need to
    remove (replace).

    Check another of these cells to make sure that they're the same.

    NOW, select your range, and:
    <Edit> <Replace>

    In the "Find What" box,
    Hold down <Alt>, and using the num keypad, *NOT* the numbers under the
    function keys, enter the *4* digit code that your formula returned:

    Of course, nothing will display in the "Find What" box, since these *are
    invisible* codes!

    Don't put anything in the "Replace With" box.

    Then click <Replace All>.

    This should convert your empty "looking" cells to be truly empty.
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Joohn Calder
    Guest

    Re: Cells That Appear Empty?

    Thanks for the quick response

    I tried puting the formula you suggested in an empty cell [ =CODE(D10) ] but
    it returns a #VALUE! value.

    Any other ideas?

  4. #4
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Cells That Appear Empty?

    Is cell D10 one of your problem cells?

    I just used it as an example.
    It would be one *very big* coincidence if it *was* one of your problem
    cells!

    A #VALUE! error means the cell of reference is *empty*.

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Joohn Calder
    Guest

    Re: Cells That Appear Empty?

    Thanks again

    No D10 is not one of my problems I just used that as an example.

    Thanks

  6. #6
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Cells That Appear Empty?

    Right now, I don't know if you solved your problem , or not!?!?

    -
    > > Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

    !

    -

  7. #7
    Bill Ridgeway
    Guest

    Re: Cells That Appear Empty?

    If you go to edit a 'blank' cell you may find ' in the cell already. This
    is used at the start of the cell to indicate left alignment and in that
    position it is a non-printable character. (A second instance would be
    printable). These are imported as a filler when importing data (I know not
    why) and can cause some confusion.

    One way (?the best way) to eliminate these is to sort each column (for ease
    of bringing them all together) and pasting a true blank cell over them. The
    problem with this is that when sorted back, you will have discontinuous
    columns and rows and thing like <Shift><Page><Down> will take you to the
    boundary of a blank / used cell not the extreme of the column or row.
    Sorting and other functions may also be affected.

    Regards.

    Bill Ridgeway
    Computer Solutions

  8. #8
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Cells That Appear Empty?

    Use Dave McRitchie's Trimall macro anytime you import data externally and it
    will clear out all the garbage that can often come with it. Takes a second
    or so at the most, and it's one I just wouldn't be without now.

    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03