Sorting

  1. #1
    Ronnie
    Guest

    Sorting

    I was making a list of movies and I'm wanting to sort them by name, but how
    can I get excel to ignore words like "the" and "a" and recognize the first
    word after that

  2. #2
    bigwheel
    Guest

    RE: Sorting

    i've done something similar and my solution was to use the following:-

    Sub SortThis()
    Do Until IsEmpty(ActiveCell)
    strTitle = ActiveCell.Value
    numSize = Len(strTitle)
    If Left(strTitle, 3) = "The" Then
    ActiveCell.Offset(0, 3) = Right(strTitle, (numSize - 4)) & ",The"
    ElseIf Left(strTitle, 2) = "A " Then
    ActiveCell.Offset(0, 3) = Right(strTitle, (numSize - 2)) & ", A"
    Else
    ActiveCell.Offset(0, 3) = strTitle
    End If
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select

    Loop
    End Sub

    So, with the first title selected, the macro copies the title to a new
    column and tags "The" or "A" to the end of the title. Then you can sort the
    resulting range as you wish (add it into the macro perhaps)

  3. #3
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: Sorting

    Ronnie,

    My brand new Excel add-in "Special Sort" (beta2) will do that.
    It ignores leading "A", "An", "The" and sorts the list for you.
    It also provides six additional "special" methods to sort with.

    Available -free- upon direct request. Remove XXX from my email address.

    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA
    [email protected]XX

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Sorting

    Hi Ronnie,
    Another way just using worksheet formulas:
    SUBSTITUTE is case sensitive

    Do you include "The" in the sort if it is the first word?

    Create a helper column.
    =TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(LOWER(A16)," and "," ")," the "," ")," a "," ")," on "," ")," in ","
    "))

    The Wind in the Willows the wind willows
    The Cat and the Fiddle the cat fiddle
    Thousand and One Space Odessey thousand one space odessey
    The Prince and the Pauper the prince pauper

    If you want the as the first word to disappear
    instead of TRIM(A16) use
    =" " & A16
    and then you could add one more substitution

    ---
    HTH,

  5. #5
    Bill Ridgeway
    Guest

    Re: Sorting

    It is all very well relying on doing things automatically with, say, macros.
    The problem with this approach is that unless the macro is well written and
    positively tested to cover all conditions you can get into the "it must be
    OK if it was done by the computer" mentality and have a database with some
    'funnies'. Either testing to make sure the macro is comprehensive or
    checking after running you may have to check every record.

    I would suggest a helper column with the first 5 significant characters of
    the title. Sorting on this column should do the job.

    Regards.

    Bill Ridgeway
    Computer Solutions