Closed Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Using INDEX w/MATCH to get data from unsorted source

  1. #1
    Lynn Bales
    Guest

    Using INDEX w/MATCH to get data from unsorted source

    I am trying to add data from one sheet to another that is unsorted. The
    formula I'm using:

    =INDEX('Differences'!$A2:$F$2000,MATCH($A2,'Differences'!$A$2:$A$5000),6)

    So according to instructions
    MATCH matches the data in $A2 to similiar data in the Differences tab column A
    then Index will print whatever is in the column 6 of the differences tab.

    However, what's going on is that correct data is not getting into this cell.
    When I evaluated the formula, the match is not matching the correct value.

  2. #2
    KL
    Guest

    Re: Using INDEX w/MATCH to get data from unsorted source

    Hi Lynn,

    Try this:

    =INDEX('Differences'!$A2:$F$2000,MATCH($A2,'Differences'!$A$2:$A$5000,0),6)

    you need to use the 3rd argument in the function MATCH if you want to find
    exact match.

    Regards,
    KL

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Lynn Bales
    Guest

    Re: Using INDEX w/MATCH to get data from unsorted source

    Awesome KL, thanks for the help. Worked perfectly....now on to something else
    I probably won't get by myself.....

  4. #4
    KL
    Guest

    Re: Using INDEX w/MATCH to get data from unsorted source

    No prob - thanks for your feedback.

    KL

    "Lynn Bales" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Awesome KL, thanks for the help. Worked perfectly....now on to something
    > else
    > I probably won't get by myself.....

    > "KL" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Lynn,
    >>
    >> Try this:
    >>
    >> =INDEX('Differences'!$A2:$F$2000,MATCH($A2,'Differences'!$A$2:$A$5000,0),6)
    >>
    >> you need to use the 3rd argument in the function MATCH if you want to
    >> find
    >> exact match.
    >>

    >> Regards,
    >> KL
    >>

    >> "Lynn Bales" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> >I am trying to add data from one sheet to another that is unsorted. The
    >> > formula I'm using:
    >> >
    >> > =INDEX('Differences'!$A2:$F$2000,MATCH($A2,'Differences'!$A$2:$A$5000),6)
    >> >
    >> > So according to instructions
    >> > MATCH matches the data in $A2 to similiar data in the Differences tab
    >> > column A
    >> > then Index will print whatever is in the column 6 of the differences
    >> > tab.
    >> >
    >> > However, what's going on is that correct data is not getting into this
    >> > cell.
    >> > When I evaluated the formula, the match is not matching the correct
    >> > value.

Closed Thread