Closed Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

alphabetical list

  1. #1
    Ronnie
    Guest

    alphabetical list

    ok...I have complied a list of my DVD collection and what I am trying to do
    is alphabatize the list. What problem I have when doing it is when I click
    sort button it always groups words like "A" and "The". I want it to ignore
    those words and focus on the word after "A" or "The"

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: alphabetical list

    Create a helper column and add this formula to it

    =SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A20,"The ",""),"A ","")

    Then sort both columns by the helper column

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bill Ridgeway
    Guest

    Re: alphabetical list

    You need a helper column by which to sort.
    =left(a1,5)
    will give you the 5 leftmost characters

    Sort on the helper column (to bring together cells that will need to be
    changed) and amend any unwanted characters to give 5 significant characters

    As a refinement you could highlight the helper column and click on
    <Edit><Copy><Edit><Paste special><Values><OK> to change the output of all
    formulas to text.

    Now use this column to sort.

    Regards.

    Bill Ridgeway
    Computer Solutions

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: alphabetical list

    Actually you don't want to pick off a trailing A on a word, so make that

    =SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(" " & A20 & " ", " The "," ")," A "," ")

    note the space inserted before and after the cell to be tested
    and the space before and after the words that are to be removed
    and the single space for the replacement. Accept the spaces
    remaining when finished because trimming would add another
    nesting level.

    When you determine all of the words you want to remove and
    depending on their location and removal of punctuation you might
    be looking at a user defined function since you can only go to
    seven nesting levels in a worksheet formula.

    But the original question may have only be removal of a
    leading The and a Leading A.

    =SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE("^" & A20 & "^", "^The "," "),"^A ","^")
    again only used for sorting so it doesn't matter what it looks like.

    Might be more suitable for the use of Regular Expressions.
    ---
    HTH,

  5. #5
    Ronnie
    Guest

    Re: alphabetical list

    I'm new with excell.......so could you be REALLY specific

  6. #6
    Ronnie
    Guest

    Re: alphabetical list

    I'm new with excell....could you be REALLY specific

  7. #7
    Ronnie

  8. #8
    Bill Ridgeway
    Guest

    Re: alphabetical list

    Go to the first free cell to the right of data in the spreadsheet
    Type -
    =left(a1,5)
    Copy the formula to all cells in the column
    Sort on that column

    Regards.

    Bill Ridgeway
    Computer Solutions