Universal formulas for any given row

  1. #1

    Universal formulas for any given row

    Hello, I am new to Excel and I need help with creating formulas. I am trying to create a few formulas that will perform simple mathematical operations on data contained in any given row of the spreadsheet. I think I have figured out how to create a formula if I specify exactly which cells I want to perform mathematical operations on (i.e., entering "=A2+B2" into cell C2), but what I really need is to create universal formulas that, for any given row, will sum the values of column A and column B of that same row (i.e, cell CX=AX+BX, where X could be any single given row). For Row 5, for example, the formula would be C5=A5+B5, but since entering a new formula into each cell one by one wouldn't save me much/any time compared to just calculating the sums manually, I am wondering if/how I can create a general formula that will leave the row undefined and just perform mathematical operations on two or more columns which I specify, for any given row in the spreadsheet. In other words, I want to associate with column C a formula that, for any given row, will sum the values in columns A and B of that same given row. Can anyone tell me how to do that?

    Thank you very much for any help you can give me.

  2. #2

    Re: Universal formulas for any given row

    This is so simple even *I* can answer it, though you may get many more answers. The
    beauty of Excel is that are usually several ways to do things.

    When you write in eg C1 that it is =A1+B1, all you need to do is copy (ctrl C) the
    formulae down to the range you want, eg C2,C3,c4 so on. Excel automatically makes the
    formulae relative, eg C5 becomes A5+B5.

  3. #3
    Michael
    Guest

    RE: Universal formulas for any given row

    Hi
    In C1 put =A1+B1
    Now you can either click the bottom right hand corner of C1 and drag down as
    far as you need, or, if there is already data in all of the A cells and B
    cells, simply double click on the bottom right hand corner of C1, to fill the
    column.
    HTH
    Michael Mitchelson

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Universal formulas for any given row

    there was another thread in another newsgroup
    http://google.co.uk/groups?threadm=e...tngp13.phx.gbl

    best to avoid posting to multiple newsgroups as you have pretty much
    the same audience and tend to dilute all of the responses.

    Good to see some additional participation here; and from answering
    questions you learn a lot just from having to put things into words.
    ---
    HTH,