Inverting a data column

  1. #1

    Inverting a data column

    Greetings,

    I am attempting to invert a column of numeric data (4000-entries) without choosing ascending or descending order as the data has no numeric order.

    Is there a command or serise of commands to use without writing a formula to erform the action?

    Thanks,

    Mike

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Inverting a data column

    Easiest in my opinion is to put 1 in an adjacent cell in the first row, 2 in
    the second row, then select 1 and 2 and drag fill down to the last (4000th
    cell). Then select both columns and sort descending on the new numbers.
    You could insert a column for this, then delete it.

    Tom Ogilvy

    "Desmo" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Inverting a data column

    Even easier is to enter the 1 and 2 as Tom suggests then select those two
    cells and double-click on the fill-handle(bottom-right corner of cell).

    No dragging involved if adjacent column has contiguous data to row 4000.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4

    Thanks...

    Looks like you've hit the bulls eye... thanks for the assist.

    Mike

  5. #5
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Inverting a data column

    I'll play that game Gord.<g>

    *Even easier*, is to enter this formula, and double click the fill handle.
    and return *immediate* results, *no sorting* necessary:

    =INDEX($A$1:$A$4000,4000-(ROW(A1)-1))
    --

    HTH,

    RD