Searching for "?"

  1. #1
    Bill Ridgeway
    Guest

    Searching for "?"

    It seems that Excel is unable to find the character ?. It stops at every
    cell.

    Are there any other characters which it can't find and, more importantly how
    can Excel be persuaded to search for "?" ?

    Thanks.

    Bill Ridgeway
    Computer Solutions

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Searching for "?"

    Search for "~?"

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    Microsoft MVP - Excel

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bill Ridgeway
    Guest

    Re: Searching for "?"

    Niek,

    Many thanks for that. But why should I know that to search for "?" I must
    type in "~?". (Are there any others like this?) It seems most illogical
    and counter intuitive. Is there a valid reason for this or is this another
    example of Microsoft being inconsistent? (Why click on start when you want
    to turn off the computer? rhetoric.)

    Regards.

    Bill Ridgeway
    Computer Solutions

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Searching for "?"

    From HELP:

    You can use wildcard characters such as an asterisk (*) or a question mark
    (?) in your search criteria:

    Use the asterisk to find any string of characters. For example, s*d finds
    "sad" and "started".

    Use the question mark to find any single character. For example, s?t finds
    "sat" and "set".

    Note You can find asterisks, question marks, and tilde characters (~) in
    worksheet data by preceding them with a tilde character in the Find what
    box. For example, to find data that contains "?", you would type ~? as your
    search criteria.