Why should you never use '=sum(A1+A2)'?

  1. #1
    Ted Rogers
    Guest

    Why should you never use '=sum(A1+A2)'?

    I attended an Excel training course yesterday and looking through the
    handout this morning noticed these lines in the overview:

    '.......when to use '=A1+A2' and when to use '=sum(A1:A10)' and why you
    should never use '=sum(A1+A2)'. I can't for the life of me remember the
    trainer's explanation and can't find the answer anywhere. Could anyone help
    please?

    Ted

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Why should you never use '=sum(A1+A2)'?

    The SUM() function is superfluous in this case. Example:

    A1: 5
    A2: 6
    A3: =A1 + A2 ====> 11
    A4: =SUM(A1 + A2) ===> SUM(11) ====> 11

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Why should you never use '=sum(A1+A2)'?

    Because you are effectively trying to do the same command twice

    A1+A2 is summing those two cells,
    SUM is also saying to sum them

    You get the correct answer because the A1+A2 is resolved before the SUM acts
    upon it, but it is unnecessary, and will be inefficient in a large
    spreadsheet.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: Why should you never use '=sum(A1+A2)'?

    =sum() ignores cells with text in them:

    A1: ASDF
    A2: 3

    =sum(a1:a2) will return 3
    =sum(a1+a2) will return a #value! error
    (because a1+a2 will return a #value! error)

  5. #5
    Ted Rogers
    Guest

    Re: Why should you never use '=sum(A1+A2)'?

    "Dave Peterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > =sum() ignores cells with text in them:
    >
    > A1: ASDF
    > A2: 3
    >
    > =sum(a1:a2) will return 3
    > =sum(a1+a2) will return a #value! error
    > (because a1+a2 will return a #value! error)

    Many thanks to everyone for your kind help - I appreciate it.

    Ted