Summing based on format

  1. #1

    Summing based on format

    OK, I have another one...

    I have conditional formating turned on so once an item is marked as completed, it's cell turns blue. Now I want to total the items that have turned blue. Is there an easy way to do this?

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Summing based on format

    By using the same test as your Conditional Formatting uses.
    and use of SUMPRODUCT or SUMIF

    ---
    HTH,

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Summing based on format

    See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html, but note the
    constraints

    RP

  4. #4
    I've tried that and it didn't work.

    I have a static number in the cells of colum A. If colum B has a date, then the number in colum A turns blue. Now I want to add all of the blue numbers at the bottom of colum A. I've tried SUMIF, using the same criteria as the conditional formating, and I got an error. Any other ideas?

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Summing based on format

    If you have CF, what is the condition?

    RP

  6. #6
    My CF condition is:

    Formula is =I13>=1

    So if this is met, then F13 will turn blue. Now at the bottom of F I want to sum all cells that have met the condition. Does that make sense?

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Summing based on format

    I think so, just use

    =SUMIF(I13:AI13,">1")

    adjust the range I13:AI13 to the range with the values.

    Bob Phillips

  8. #8
    I'm sorry for being so confused on this one.

    When I use that formula I get the sum of the colum with the dates in it, not the sum of the static values.

    To break it down:

    Colum F = static value
    Colum I= date

    Only some of Colum I have a date in them, so therefore only some of Colum F are blue. At the bottom of colum F I want to total the blue ones.

    I appreciate all the help you've been giving me on this one!