Combobox display on startup

  1. #1
    Richard
    Guest

    Combobox display on startup

    Hi

    There is probably a very simple answer to this but I can't find it...

    I have designed a spreadsheet were the end user can select the data to view
    by selecting the Year from a range of years and Category from a range of
    categories. When the file is reopened the Comboboxes no longer display the
    selection; how do I get round this please?
    --
    Thanks

    Richard

  2. #2
    Mark Hone
    Guest

    RE: Combobox display on startup

    Hi Richard,

    First question: did you get the Combo boxes from the "Control" command bar
    or the "Forms" command bar? Basically, each one is a different (albeit
    similar) control. For further info, see this link:
    http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/Excel-co...ms-toolbox.htm

    What you need to do is to add a linked cell to the combo box, where it will
    store the chosen value. This should then be retained, provided the workbook
    is saved on exit.

    For a Control-type Combo Box do the following:
    - Make sure you are in design mode
    - Right-click the combo box and select Properties
    - In the property called LinkedCell, type in the address of the cell e.g. A1
    - Close the Properties window and exit design mode

    For a Form-type Combo box do the following:
    - Right-click the combo box and select Format Control
    - Select the tab labelled Control
    - In the box called Cell Link, type in the address of the cell e.g. A1
    - Click OK

    Hopefully this will solve your problem.

    Cheers,

    Mark

  3. #3
    Richard
    Guest

    RE: Combobox display on startup

    Thanks Mark, very helpful, you have solved my problem.

    I used a combobox from the forms command bar for a range of years, then
    selected a year, closed the file and then reopened it. The combobox displayed
    the selected year.
    When I went through the same process with a combobox from the control
    command bar, the combobox displayed nothing.
    --
    Thanks

    Richard

  4. #4
    Mark Hone
    Guest

    RE: Combobox display on startup

    Hi Richard,

    Glad to be of help. If I have indeed solved your problem, perhaps you could
    change the status of the thread to indicate your question has been answered.

    Kind regards,

    Mark

  5. #5
    Richard