linked spreadsheets

  1. #1
    Mifty
    Guest

    linked spreadsheets

    Hi,
    I'm not sure that my subject line describes exactly what I want to know. But
    here goes.... I've been asked to set up a spread sheet (Source) linked to
    several destination spreadsheets (don't know if linked is the right word or
    not). The idea is that standard data can get pulled from the source
    spreadsheet by entering a formula into a cell in each one of the destination
    spreadsheets. Hope this makes sense and that some kind soul can help me!
    --
    Mifty

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: linked spreadsheets

    This formula will "link-in" the value in cell A1 of the Excel file named
    TestBook.xls located in C:\ directory. The file TestBook.xls does not have
    to be open for this to occur. Modify the components of the formula to fit
    your situation.

    ='C:\[TestBook.xls]Sheet1'!A1

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bill Ridgeway
    Guest

    Re: linked spreadsheets

    At a basic level you can do what you've been asked to do. Open up all,the
    spreadsheets. Go to a destination cell. Type in "=" (without quotes). Go to
    the source cell and press enter. You have now created a link which will
    read the value of one cell to another.

    There are however, some inherent flaws in this approach of having several
    spreadsheets. The link is absolute. If the structure of the source
    spreadsheet changes the link will be to a blank cell or, worse still to a
    cell with a (incorrect) value. it is much better, if at all possible to
    have all data as separate worksheets within a single spreadsheet. In that
    way any changes in structure are automatically changed throughout.

    Regards.

    Bill Ridgeway
    Computer Solutions

  4. #4
    Mifty
    Guest

    Re: linked spreadsheets

    Hi Chuck and Bill,

    Haven't had time to check out your suggestions but thanks for the quick
    response.
    Will get back to you after I've had a 'play'
    Cheers
    --
    Mifty

  5. #5
    JethroUK©
    Guest

    Re: linked spreadsheets

    "Bill Ridgeway" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > At a basic level you can do what you've been asked to do. Open up all,the
    > spreadsheets. Go to a destination cell. Type in "=" (without quotes). Go

    > the source cell and press enter. You have now created a link which will
    > read the value of one cell to another.

    whilst this works with all previous versions of XL and is 'still' the
    documented method for creating an external link, there is a bug in the Excel
    XP (see my post on 18/8) and it is unreliable

    this being the most fundimental usage of XL, i'm amazed and disgusted that
    microsoft haven't fixed it

  6. #6
    Mifty
    Guest

    Re: linked spreadsheets

    Many thanks for all the help. It works beautifully!
    --
    A very HAPPY Mifty