Best way to self-learn Excel

  1. #1
    Ted Rogers
    Guest

    Best way to self-learn Excel

    I am trying to get my head around Excel to improve my future employment
    possibilities, learning its more advanced features and hopefully VBA. What
    is the best way of achieving this please? (attending a course is out of the
    question as I am disabled). I have a choice of self learning via CD's
    (Lynda.com or similar), books or self learning with the program helpfiles
    and examples.

    I would appreciate views on this and recommendations if at all possible.

    Best wishes,

    Ted

  2. #2
    Ted,

    "Neccessity is the mother of skill" is the motto I go by. As I come up with projects and find solutions for them I am able to add to my ability.

    For just starting out I would look for a lesson plan either in CD or Book from that give you projects you can actually DO as you learn. "DOING" is the key here, to just read how do an array formula for instance is pretty mind boggeling, but after you have done a few they are very logical and seem to create themselves.

    I don't have any specific "programs" but thought I would chime in as to the "type" of program that I would reccomend.

    HTH,

    PZan

  3. #3
    Kassie
    Guest

    RE: Best way to self-learn Excel

    Hi Ted

    I suppose each person has a unique learning process. Some people can take a
    book, study it and gain knowledge. Some people need to be shown how to.
    Others never learn. I have discovered that the best way for me to learn, is
    to grapple with something untill I understand it. I learnt myself Excel
    without the help of any books or courses. What I did, was to create
    scenarios, and then try to find solutions for those scenarios.

    However, there are loads of books on the subject, while simply followint the
    threads on this website is in itself a learning experience!

    You know how you learn. Apply that and I am sure you will also get to love
    Excel!
    --
    [email protected]ve_2nd_at. Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa

  4. #4
    Adrian M
    Guest

    RE: Best way to self-learn Excel

    The best thing about the internet is the amount of free information that is
    out there. There is almost nothing about Excel that cannot be found on the
    internet. If you like to learn using video clips then you are welcome to try
    our site (http://www.auditexcel.co.za/training.html ) or if you prefer to
    read through material there are a number of links on our site to those type
    of sites. Happy learning!

  5. #5
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Best way to self-learn Excel

    Personally I would get a good book, work through it steadily, and spend a
    lot of time here in the newsgroups. The book will give you a structured
    approach to the subject, whilst the newsgroups will give you random and
    varied real-life examples that will make it more interesting. You will get
    to see how different people approach the same problem, and can ask questions
    one on one for anything you would like clarification on.

    If I were going to recommend a book, then i would probably suggest one of
    John Walkenbach's Excel Bibles, as this will not just give you VBA, but will
    also give you a good grounding in the Non VBA side of Excel. There are many
    many occasions where people will resort to VBA to solve something that could
    be done far more efficiently with a formula or feature in Excel other than
    VBA. Knowing when to use each is the real trick to be learned.

    No matter what though, you are currently sat reading through what I would
    personally consider the very best source of learning available. Being able
    to see the examples given, try and walk through them yourself, and then be
    able to post questions for clarification on bits you don't understand, to me
    beats any book hollow. Get the two of them though, and it's an unbeatable
    combination.

    Good luck whichever you choose though.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    news:%[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Bill Ridgeway
    Guest

    Re: Best way to self-learn Excel

    There's nothing like having a target to aim for. Going thorough a series of
    examples and exercises from a book can be very dry and without purpose. I'm
    not advising you not to look at a book. It's a very necessary evil. You
    could perhaps think of a few personal goals that may inspire you to get on.
    Something that, at the end of the day, will be useful to you and which you
    can take some pride in saying "I done that" every time it is used. I
    suppose a 'traditional' one would be to commit all you finances to a
    spreadsheet and then use that to analyse income and expenditure by type and
    produce some graphs. This may not be a good example for you but you are
    really the best one to come up with the best idea.

    Tip one is think (what you want), design (what you want) and then it will do
    what you want. The best way is to start with a pen and paper with the
    computer off.

    Tip two is try to reduce the spreadsheet as much as possible. (No I don't
    mean to make it painful to read). This approach concentrates the mind on
    reducing bloat.

    Tip three is not to do a job more than once. Put all the variables (e.g.
    VAT rate) in one place and refer to it. This also reduces the chance of an
    error (part of idiot proofing).

    Tip four is enjoy a challenge.

    Regards.

    Bill Ridgeway
    Computer Solutions

  7. #7
    David J. Braden
    Guest

    Re: Best way to self-learn Excel

    In line with Bill's thoughts, I would recommend, in addition to JWalk's
    books, and that by John Green et al., which are great references for
    Excel-specific tasks, the books by Mike Middleton (Data Analysis), Bernard
    Liengme http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ for apps (watch out, though, he
    *is* Canadian <vbg>), and Conrad Carlberg's superb "Business Analysis with
    Microsoft Excel"
    http://print.google.com/print?id=wBO...W61vr0YKsqQ8hs

    which brings sound, realistic problems to think about, using Excel as one of
    your tools to solve.

    And to echo what others are suggesting, these newsgroups!

    Regards,
    Dave Braden

    ps - one of our greatest physicists, Helmholtz, said he got his best ideas
    when taking walks in his local woodlands. So as you approach all of this
    stuff, you might want to give yourself some time to do something different
    for ideas to sink in (woodworking, gardening, slashing tires, ...). At least
    for me, learning Excel *is not* like learning a programming language,
    German, serious microeconomics or applied statistics (all of which I am
    pretty good in). It is a sprawling product with many problems, a number of
    workarounds, a lot of apps, and, happily, a broad community that can give
    you inspiration and some concise solutions. Welcome!!!

    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Forum Contributor
    Central Jersey

    Thumbs up

    I am learning excel right now because of the same reasons as you. I bought a book on formulas and a book on VBA (go to Amazon.com or something, they were 600 and 800 page books and I got them for about $50 together shipped!). Just brief through the books to get a good idea of where everything is (in the book) and scrape the surface of how everything works. Always read the Tips too.

    Other than that you should apply it. I joined 3 Excel based forums and I check out all different questions and try to post an answer or a whole spreadsheet as an example. It's good for practice. OR you could join a newsgroup, I like the forums a little better, though, because you can download any .zip files people have uploaded to the forum (who is a registered user, at least) and I hate having a million e-mails about who posted to a thread that you did.

    But whatever you do, practice is the key. Big time. I can't begin to tell you HOW FAST I've been learning this program (ESPECIALLY VBA). Don't get me wrong, I've had a course or two on programming (but the last one was 1 year ago...and it was 2 courses), but I have TONS of learning to do.

    And motivation....high motivation is excellent. My incentive? More money for higher education, like what you're doing this for. Just have fun doing it...I know I am!
    -Joseph

  9. #9
    Ted Rogers
    Guest

    (Re: Best way to self-learn Excel) Thank you !

    Thank you to everyone for a fantastic response to my question, I didn't
    expect such a large response :-)

    I'm going to go along the book route and work through that. Almost everyone
    suggested having a goal to aim for and my goal, I guess, is to be able to
    use Excel as an expert!

    Thank you again for your kindness,

    Ted

  10. #10
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Best way to self-learn Excel) Thank you !

    Ted, one of the nice things about the newsgroups here is that the regulars
    are generally just that, ie regular. This means that there really does tend
    to be a spirit of community in the groups, and familiarity brings it's own
    brand of comfort, such that you will have no hesitation in asking questions.
    At the same time as you start picking things up you may well find you
    actually want to start answering some questions as well, and that in itself
    will give you a real incentive to get it right, and it's usually a lot more
    interesting when it's real problems you are looking at as opposed to just
    textbook examples.

    If you want to hang around you'll find people here willing to give you all
    the help you could want, and don't ever feel that there is a question you
    can't ask.

  11. #11
    Scudo
    Guest

    Re: Best way to self-learn Excel) Thank you !

    Ted, I am far from an expert at excel on a scale 1-100 I am 5! The
    trouble is I love playing around with it, I tried VBA but gave up as
    although I could get things to work I had no further use for it and my brain
    doesn`t retain info very well so I kept having to go back to the book all
    the time. However a couple of years back I decided to put my home finances
    on to a spreadsheet, fairly basic, then I would sit there and think "I
    wonder could it do this or that" and before I new it I was developing the
    spreadsheet all the time, by the time I was happy with it (several months
    later) I couldn`t have told you how to do the some of the first
    formulas...but I was a happy man. I then offered to do a friends business
    wages, tax payments etc, eventually after a couple of months it was finished
    and what was taking all day for the owner was now done in a few minutes.

    I learned a lot by getting involved in it, however without NG like this one
    I would never have achieved as much as I did.
    I am sure there is a moral in here somewhere but don`t know what it is.

    Best of luck
    Scudo

    news:[email protected]...

    ----

    ----

  12. #12
    moochie2024
    Guest

    RE: Best way to self-learn Excel

    The Shelly Cashman series is a great tool for learning excel. I have been
    able to improve my understanding of excel fairly quickly with the excercises
    in the text book.
    --
    amen brother