XP linking to external cells bug?

  1. #1
    JethroUK©
    Guest

    XP linking to external cells bug?

    to link to cells across sheets or books you can simply:

    type '=' in the local book
    navigate to the cell(s) on the external book

    it's a documented technique and works perfectly with previous versions of
    XL - Excel XP seems to be unreliable at this - sometimes it doesn't seem to
    create the link?

    I've put this down to the fact that XP runs multiple XL books as independant
    applications, and possibly dependant on how you open each book - but i don't
    know for sure and i need this to work reliably

    Anyone noticed this bug? if so, anyone know how to make it work reliably

  2. #2
    Gary's Student
    Guest

    RE: XP linking to external cells bug?

    This might be an Option problem.

    Make sure Tools > Options > Calculation
    that both update remote references and save external link values are checked.
    --
    Gary's Student

  3. #3
    JethroUK©
    Guest

    Re: XP linking to external cells bug?

    Thanks but it's not link saving or updating - it simply wont create a link
    at all

    I'm suprised no one else has noticed unless i'm the only person still links
    books together :o)

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Gary's Student
    Guest

    Re: XP linking to external cells bug?

    One Last Try:

    When you open the two workbooks to establish the linkage, open them both in
    the same instance of Excel. That is, don't open them by double clicking the
    workbook icon. Instead first open Excel and from Excel open the workbooks by
    using:

    File > Open

    and then use the Open browser to open them. Perhaps the problem is two
    instances of Excel not being able to see each other.

    Let us know how things go.

    Good Luck
    --
    Gary's Student