Find in list function

  1. #1
    jrup
    Guest

    Find in list function

    I have two lists that should contain the same values. In Excel, they are in
    two columns. In the third column, I want to put the values that are in List A
    but not in List B. In the fourth column, I want to put the values that are in
    List B but not in List A.

    List A is from A1 : A501

    List B is from B1 : B458

    Can this be done in Excel?

  2. #2
    Gary's Student
    Guest

    RE: Find in list function

    How about comparing each item in column A to the range of cells in column B
    using the MATCH() function.

    MATCH() will return an error for match-not-found, which we can detect in
    ISERROR(). So in C1:

    =if(iserror(match(A1,b$1:B$458,0)),A1,"")

    will indicate unmatch items in A. Do something similiar for column B.

    Good Luck
    --
    Gary's Student

  3. #3
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Find in list function

    Put this in C1 and copy down.......

    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,B:B,1,FALSE)),A1,"")

    Put this in D1 and copy down..........

    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(B1,A:A,1,FALSE)),B1,"")

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    "jrup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have two lists that should contain the same values. In Excel, they are

    in
    > two columns. In the third column, I want to put the values that are in

    List A