filtering data

  1. #1
    Alex
    Guest

    filtering data

    I have a column with copied formular till row # 3,000. I've entered data into
    10 rows.
    But, when I filter the data the next row for the data entries is 3,001.

    How could I make the next empty row (11) available for the data entries
    after applying filtering.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: filtering data

    I usually copy and paste my filtered data over to another worksheet for
    further processing.........

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Alex
    Guest

    Re: filtering data

    Thanks, CLR.

    But, my spreadsheet is for multi-user entries and the idea is that some user
    filter his/her data to see only his/her data and continue his/her entries.

  4. #4
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: filtering data

    Alex,

    You could

    1) put your formulas into a column that is not part of your table (separated
    by at least one completely blank column), then just filter your table.

    2) only enter your formula to match your data, then set Excel to Extend List
    formats and formulas (Tools Options Edit tab - but only for Excel XP and
    2003)

    3) only enter your formula to match your data, and use a worksheet change
    event to copy the formula when an entry is made in a new row.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

  5. #5
    Alex
    Guest

    Re: filtering data

    Thank you very much, Bernie.

    The third one would be just exellent for me.

    I have a data entry column for dates and that column with the formular that
    just converts the date column into to show month. So, it's B column with =A2
    in B2 formatted to show "mmm".

    How could I do the third suggested item - enter the data into A2 and only
    after that get a formula in B2?

    Thanks,

    Alex

  6. #6
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: filtering data

    Alex,

    Copy the code below, then right-click on the worksheet tab and select "View Code". Paste the code
    in the window that appears.

    This will only work (as written) when you enter values into one cell at a time.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    If Target.Column <> 1 Then Exit Sub
    If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    With Target(1, 2)
    .NumberFormat = "mmm"
    .FormulaR1C1 = "=RC[-1]"
    End With
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    End Sub

  7. #7
    Alex
    Guest

    Re: filtering data

    Thanks a lot again, Bernie. It's working perfectly.

    How about if I want to have it empty if in the major (Date) column the data
    has been deleted.
    I'm trying this:
    ..FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(RC[-1]='','',RC[-1])" But, it's not working.

    Thanks

  8. #8
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: filtering data

    Alex,

    Better to clear the formula, for the filtering to work correctly:

    If Target.Column <> 1 Then Exit Sub
    If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    With Target(1, 2)