Employee number and name

  1. #1
    Dave S
    Guest

    Employee number and name

    Is there some way that when I enter an employees number in to a cell it will
    return the name?

    Thanks for your help - Dave

  2. #2
    Bill Kuunders
    Guest

    Re: Employee number and name

    You need to have a table of two columns (or more for other info) where the
    first column is the
    emplyee number and the second is the name.

    =vlookup(A5,F3:G60,2,false) will give you
    the name of the empl# in A5 from the table.
    2 stands for the second column of that table.

    --
    Greetings from New Zealand
    Bill K

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Dave S
    Guest

    Re: Employee number and name

    Thanks Bill - I'll give it a try now!

    news:%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Dave S
    Guest

    Re: Employee number and name

    Hi Bill - Not sure that I quite understand it.

    I have 2 employees numbers in cells a5 and a6 and the names in cells b5 and
    b6. I'd like to type an employee number in a13 and for it to return the
    relevant name. What would be the formula? Hope this makes sense.

  5. #5
    Forum Expert Cutter's Avatar
    Ontario,Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    6,451
    Change the formula Bill gave you to this:

    In B13 type: =VLOOKUP(A13,A5:B6,2,0)

    Copy this formula down to B14

    Now when you type an employee number into A13 or A14 you'll get the corresponding names in B13 and B14

  6. #6
    Rowan
    Guest

    Re: Employee number and name

    If you are going to copy that formula down you'll want to use absolute
    references for the lookup range:

    =VLOOKUP(A13,$A$5:$B$6,2,0)

    Regards
    Rowan

  7. #7
    Forum Expert Cutter's Avatar
    Ontario,Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    6,451
    You're right, Rowan. My bad.

  8. #8
    Dave S
    Guest

    Re: Employee number and name

    Thanks for your replies - I still can't get my head around this - I'll try
    again later.