[SOLVED] How do I convert .txt files into .xls in order to be able to sum.

  1. #1
    rozzamareea
    Guest

    [SOLVED] How do I convert .txt files into .xls in order to be able to sum.

    I receive via e-mail a statement that I need to resort by date , purchase
    order and total by department, etc. The process I have been using is to copy
    and paste into Excel. However, when I try to sum the $ is will not sum.

    Is there some other way of converting this statement that I receive via
    e-mail into Excel, so that I can resort and sum?

    I am using Excel 2002 and my e-mail browser is Mozilla.

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: How do I convert .txt files into .xls in order to be able to sum.

    You might be able to use File-->Open, and then let the Text Import Wizard
    help. Otherwise, you could use the "data isn't recognized" fix here:
    ************
    Anne Troy
    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    gls858

    rozzamareea wrote:
    > I receive via e-mail a statement that I need to resort by date , purchase
    > order and total by department, etc. The process I have been using is to copy
    > and paste into Excel. However, when I try to sum the $ is will not sum.
    >
    > Is there some other way of converting this statement that I receive via
    > e-mail into Excel, so that I can resort and sum?
    >
    > I am using Excel 2002 and my e-mail browser is Mozilla.

    Just a guess but the field is probably formatted as text even
    though it shows a $ sign high lite the $col right click and
    format as currency.

    gls858