How to move to next cell by entering data-not using Enter key.

  1. #1

    How to move to next cell by entering data-not using Enter key.

    I am using ms excel to enter data, 1 for Yes and 2 for No, for 300 items/questions listed successively in column A. The data is then tallied on another excel page. However, I would like to have the entry of 1 or 2 provide the jump to the next cell down ( each time1 or 2 is entered) rather than have to always press enter key to go to the next cell. Any ideas how to proceed?

  2. #2
    FSt1
    Guest

    RE: How to move to next cell by entering data-not using Enter key.

    hi,
    it would be nice but i'm afraid you wont be able to do that.
    when you enter data in a cell, the cell goes to edit mode. it stays in edit
    move until an event happens to remove it from edit mode. such as click the
    cell with the mouse pointer, press the down arrow or enter.

    Sorry
    regards
    FSt1

  3. #3
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: How to move to next cell by entering data-not using Enter key.

    John,

    You could enter your 1s and 2s as a long string in cell A1 (use a leading single quote prior to
    entering the numbers), and use this formula in cell A2

    =MID($A$1,ROW()-1,1)

    copied down for 300 rows. When you enter your last item in cell A1, the formulas will extract the
    correct value from the entered string.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP