Closed Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Resetting default row height to allow display of wrapped text

  1. #1
    Stilson
    Guest

    Resetting default row height to allow display of wrapped text

    I'm using Excel 2000 and XP Pro. I'm formatting a text page whereby users
    can input text into a column and I want the text to wrap so that whatever
    the length of their text we see it all. On a default page it works fine.
    However I tinkered with the row height for font purposes and now the text
    will wrap but the row won't expand to fit the whole text. How do I reset
    the row/sheet or whatever to get the display I want? Thanks

    --
    Stilson Snow

  2. #2
    Mike
    Guest

    RE: Resetting default row height to allow display of wrapped text

    There is a limit to how much text will display within a cell and how much
    text displays in the formula bar. Goto excel help and enter limits. Only
    1,024 chars will display in a cell. For some reason, Microsoft has not
    expanded on this for a decade. I believe 123QuattroPro (excel's rival) has a
    larger limit. I know it has more than Excel's limit of 65,536 rows. I think
    it runs to 1,000,000 for Quattro.

  3. #3

    Re: Resetting default row height to allow display of wrapped text

    If you've ever set the rowheight manually, then excel won't autofit that row
    when the text changes. If you autofit the row, then excel will autofit it, too.

    And when you have lots of text in a cell, you may have to enter alt-enters
    (every 80-100 characters) to see more than the documented 1024 characters.

    Stilson wrote:

    > I'm using Excel 2000 and XP Pro. I'm formatting a text page whereby users
    > can input text into a column and I want the text to wrap so that whatever
    > the length of their text we see it all. On a default page it works fine.
    > However I tinkered with the row height for font purposes and now the text
    > will wrap but the row won't expand to fit the whole text. How do I reset
    > the row/sheet or whatever to get the display I want? Thanks
    >
    > --
    > Stilson Snow

Closed Thread