how to find last cell in column with data

  1. #1

    how to find last cell in column with data

    I have a very simple checkbook register. I would like to be able to
    display
    the ending balance in a specific cell at the top of the sheet. How can
    I do this?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Gary's Student
    Guest

    RE: how to find last cell in column with data

    Let's say your balance is in column A from A2 to somewhere below.
    Put in A1

    =LOOKUP(2,1/(A2:A65356>0),A2:A65356)

    (suggested by Sandy Mann)
    --
    Gary's Student

  3. #3
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    Re: how to find last cell in column with data

    Gary's Student" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > =LOOKUP(2,1/(A2:A65356>0),A2:A65356)
    >
    > (suggested by Sandy Mann)

    Really? Stolen by Sandy Mann maybe <g>

    Sandy
    [email protected]
    Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk

    "

  4. #4

    Re: how to find last cell in column with data

    My balance column (E) is using the formula:
    (for cell E5): =IF(A5="","",(E4+C5-D5))

    which always shows blank unless there is data (date actually) in column
    A. Since this formula is used farther down the sheet then actual data,
    the results of your suggestion are the contents of the last cell with
    the forumla. (which is exactly what I asked for - not necessarily what
    I wanted )

    So let me try again in case I am heading down the wrong path. I would
    like to have a running balance using a similar formula above and only
    have data visible in the column if there is data in the A column. I
    also want to be able to get the last cell with a balance. How can I
    achive this?

    Thanks again for your help.

  5. #5
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    Re: how to find last cell in column with data

    Try:

    =LOOKUP(2,1/(A2:A65356<>""),A2:A65356)

    but note that this will also return any text that is further down than the
    last date.

  6. #6
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    Re: how to find last cell in column with data

    mmm.....

    Both formulas work for me when the range is corrected (and I took the
    trouble to actually read what the OP said)

    =LOOKUP(2,1/(A2:A65356<>""),E2:E65356)

    =LOOKUP(2,1/(A2:A65356>0),E2:E65356)

    Sandy
    [email protected]