auto numbering text

  1. #1
    Lee
    Guest

    auto numbering text

    I have a cell (D6) that has text AV1 in it. Is it possible to have cell A20
    check to see if B20 has a number greater than 0 in it, if it does return
    AV1-1. If there isn't return a blank or "-".
    At the moment A20 has the following formula in it:
    =IF('A-V Input'!B20>0,"AV1-1","")
    I need to copy this 20 times and the change "AV1-1" manually using the above
    formula.
    There are other parts but I want to try and solve this first

    Thanks,

  2. #2

    Re: auto numbering text

    Not sure i completely get what you're after, but you can do this:

    =IF('A-V Input'!B20>0,D6&"-1","")

    to reference teh value "AV1" in cell D6 and add to it the text "-1".

    Then if E6 and on down have AV2, AV3, etc., copying this formula down will reference them, and create "AV2-1", "AV3-1", etc.

    Is this what you're after?
    Excel_Geek
    http://blog.excelgeek.com/

    "...I'll do that in Excel for $50..."

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: auto numbering text

    One guess ..

    Put in A20: =IF('A-V Input'!B20>0,INDIRECT($D$6)-1,"")
    where D6 contains the text: AV1

    Adapt to suit
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Lee
    Guest

    Re: auto numbering text

    Well you got part of it right. I need the AV1- to stay constent and the -
    number to change 20 times.
    example.
    AV1-1
    AV1-2
    AV1-3 etc.

    What i'm using for to calculate circuit voltage by device. So, AV1 is the
    circuit and -1 is the device. There will be multiple circuits, so if I could
    get the first one working I can use it to figure AV2-, AV3, etc.
    I hope I cleared up what wanted to do or did I make it worse.

  5. #5
    Max
    Guest

    Re: auto numbering text

    "Lee" wrote:
    > .. I need the AV1- to stay constent and the -
    > number to change 20 times.
    > example.
    > AV1-1
    > AV1-2
    > AV1-3 etc.

    Still guessing here ..

    Put in D6: AV (i.e. w/o the "1")

    Then try in the starting cell, and copy down:
    =IF('A-V Input'!B20>0,$D$6&ROWS($A$1:A1)&"-1","")

    The incrementer part: ROWS($A$1:A1)
    should serve the purpose here as you copy down
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  6. #6