hiding rows

  1. #1
    Lee
    Guest

    hiding rows

    is there a way to hide rows that have a certain character in that row.

    example
    B1
    1
    -
    -
    The rows with a "-" gets hidden and if the cell gets data other than "-"
    later it would unhide the row.

    a guy at work said this wasn't possible. without programing. I don't know
    that much about VBA. So if that is the only way I guess I will have to learn

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    Re: hiding rows

    It is very clunky but, you can highlight the Column then select Data >
    Filter > Autofilter click on the arrowhead and then select (Custom ...)

    Click on the arrowhead of the top left box and select > does not equal and
    put a dash in the other top box then click OK.

    To unhide the row after entering data you have to re-apply the Custom
    Autofilter again, (I said that it was clukky!)

    This will not work if the "-" is being entered because the cell is formatted
    as Currency

    Otherwise get a good book on VBA.

    Sandy
    [email protected]
    Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: hiding rows

    You could apply data|filter|Autofilter to that column.

    Then filter by that column (click the downarrow) and choose
    custom
    (scroll down the list)
    does not contain
    -

    And you'll see just the cells that don't have dashes.

    Then to see everything:
    data|filter|show all
    (or click the arrow and choose (all))

    The autofilter stuff is really a nice way to see your data. I'd select the
    whole range and apply to all the columns.

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    RE: hiding rows

    You could use an AutoFilter to hide the rows with hyphens. However, you would
    have to reapply the AutoFilter to update the results -- it doesn't
    automatically adjust if the list items change.

    There's information on AutoFilter in Excel's Help, and here:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter01.html
    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  5. #5
    Lee
    Guest

    RE: hiding rows

    I what to hide the entire row not the column.

  6. #6
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    Re: hiding rows

    Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    >I what to hide the entire row not the column.

    All three answers will hide the row not the column. Did you try them?

    --
    Rrgards

  7. #7
    Lee
    Guest

    Re: hiding rows

    I haven't tried them yet, I printed them out and will try them Monday at work.