Help with grouping columns

  1. #1

    Cool Help with grouping columns

    Maybe I'm overlooking the obvious...but I'm having a hard time grouping columns.

    Here's the goal:

    Columns A - L are the 12 months... Jan-Dec.
    I want to group 3 columns (3 months) at a time. So I'd have 4 column groups side by side.
    I select the entire first 3 columns...data...group/outline...and group...creates the group fine.
    I then select the next 3 columns (next 3 months)...to be in their own group. When I try to group them...it just ads them to the first group...making one large group.
    The first 3 columns are not selected when I do this.
    I've also tried playing with the summary details in the group settings.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Ray A
    Guest

    RE: Help with grouping columns

    One way
    Try highlighting just 2 columns and grouping. column A & B will Group A B & C.
    HTH

  3. #3
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Help with grouping columns

    Try inserting empty helper columns and grouping on either side of the
    helpers........

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    "couriced" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Help with grouping columns

    Depends what your goal is. When you group your data and collapse them all,
    what are you expecting to see? If it is just quarter points, then fine, do
    as suggested by Ray and just group the first 2 columns of each group. If
    however you want a summary of each quarter then you need to add extra
    columns containing that data, such that each group now has 4 columns, and
    then group the first 3 of each.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

  5. #5

    Thanks!

    Thanks...you have shed some light on the situation.

    Another question, however; when grouping columns....why does it sometimes just show dots across the tops of the columns...and other times the lines? I haven't applied any style...

  6. #6
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Help with grouping columns

    Probably the page break lines that you see if you used
    Print, Print Preview, or turned on Tools, Options, View, page breaks.

    Page breaks takes longer to work with so you might turn them off
    if you don't need them.

    ---
    HTH,