SUBSTITUTE (more than one in Excel ?)

  1. #1
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: SUBSTITUTE (more than one in Excel ?)

    Andy,

    Make up a table of your substitutions (say, in X1:Y100, with codes in column X and full values in
    Y), and use a formula like

    =VLOOKUP(A1,$X$1:$Y$100,2,False)

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

  2. #2
    Andy100
    Guest

    Re: SUBSTITUTE (more than one in Excel ?)

    I can see what you mean, but in my example it doesn't work because i need it
    to replace text within text, not a whole word.

    In my data i have e.g. BAW9999, and i want it to change that to
    SPEEDBIRD9999, so it's not looking for a whole word, but text within a word
    and replacing it.

    Thanks for the help and speedy reply !!

    Kind Regards
    Andrew

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bernie Deitrick

  4. #4
    Andy100

  5. #5
    Bernie Deitrick

  6. #6
    Andy100

  7. #7
    Bernie Deitrick

  8. #8
    Andy100

  9. #9
    Bernie Deitrick

  10. #10
    Andy100
    Guest

    Re: SUBSTITUTE (more than one in Excel ?)

    Sorry to bother you again, but what about 3 or more substitutions ?
    Following on from your formula i tried to input more than the two in your
    example but got errors ! - i tried:
    SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE((A2,"BAW","SPEEDBIRD "),"EZY","EASYJET
    "),"MYT","KESTREL ")

    but i kept on getting errors, what pattern will it follow for 3 or more ?

    Kind Regards
    Andrew

  11. #11
    Andy100

  12. #12
    Andy100

  13. #13
    Peo Sjoblom

  14. #14
    Bernie Deitrick

  16. #16
    Andy100

  17. #17
    Andy100

  18. #18
    Andy100

  19. #19
    Andy100

  20. #20
    Andy100

  21. #21
    Andy100

  22. #22
    Peo Sjoblom

  23. #23
    Peo Sjoblom

  24. #24
    Andy100

  25. #25
    Andy100

  26. #26
    Leo Heuser
    Guest

    Re: SUBSTITUTE (more than one in Excel ?)

    Hi Andrew

    Each SUBSTITUTE returns a string, which you must
    make a new SUBSTITUTE to, so

    SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"BAW","SPEEDBIRD "),"EZY","EASYJET
    "),"MYT","KESTREL ")

    will do the job.

    --
    Best Regards