Closed Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3

changing data

  1. #1
    Kozzy
    Guest

    changing data

    I have a column of numbers. I want to make a column that adds a percentage
    to the first column of original data. Is this possible?

    column_1 column 2
    100 125
    10 12.50
    Thanks, to anyone that replies
    Chris

  2. #2
    Bill Ridgeway
    Guest

    Re: changing data

    The grossing up factor in your example is 1.25. You could have a simple
    formula in each cell in column 2 -
    =A1*1.25
    =B1*1.25

    However, especially if you have a large spreadsheet, this can be prone to
    user error. Find a cell (perhaps on another worksheet within the
    spreadsheet) in which you can place this and other variables. define and
    name that cell. To do this -

    Click on <Insert><Name><Define> and type -
    Chris (or any other name you wish).

    You may wish to type, in an adjacent cell, a short descriptor of the
    variable.

    In each of the cell in column 2 type the formula -
    =(Chris)

    This has the benefits that -
    you have to enter (amend) the variable only once
    the calculation will be correct even if the variable is moved within the
    spreadsheet
    if the variable is incorrect it will be, at least, consistently
    incorrect.

    Regards.

    Bill Ridgeway
    Computer Solutions

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: changing data

    One way:

    B2: =A2*125%

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Kozzy" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I have a column of numbers. I want to make a column that adds a percentage
    > to the first column of original data. Is this possible?
    >
    > column_1 column 2
    > 100 125
    > 10 12.50
    > Thanks, to anyone that replies