Closed Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Making a set value appear in a cell

  1. #1
    Aleksey Solovyov
    Guest

    Making a set value appear in a cell

    Hi, I'm new to excel, I apologize if this question is too basic. I work for
    an accountant, and I have to enter an account purpose and the account number
    for that purpose in a cell right next to it. Is there any way to enter the
    purpose and make the set value of the account number appear next to it
    automatically? For example if I enter ABC for purpose, can I make a (fake)
    account number of 50-5025-02 appear next to it automatically? And the same
    goes for other purposes and their respective account numbers.

  2. #2
    Rowan
    Guest

    Re: Making a set value appear in a cell

    You can do this using a VLOOKUP formula. First you would need to set up
    a list of all the account purpose's and their respective account numbers
    - the lookup table, in this example on sheet1 range A1:B10.
    Then if you enter a purpose in A2 (on another sheet) in B2 you could
    have the formula:
    =VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!$A$1:$B$10,2,0)

    For more on vlookups see excel help and also

    Hope this helps
    Rowan

  3. #3
    spreadsheetsolutions4u
    Guest

    RE: Making a set value appear in a cell

    Hi Aleksey,

    Lookup formulas (lookup, vlookup, hlookup) would greatly help with this
    task. Use Excel's help ('F1') or do a google search for some examples.
    You will love working with excel !!!