Looking for function to pick out names and at values from the same row

  1. #1

    Question Looking for function to pick out names and at values from the same row

    Say I have 3 Rows:

    Income | Expanses | Memo
    | 10.00 | Food
    | 5.00 | Gas
    | 15.00| Food

    Now I'm looking for a function that searches for a string such as "Food" and then add all Values of the Expanses Tab of this certain tab, so that all values of Food will be added automatically so that the result of this would be 25.00...

    I would really appreciate any help

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Looking for function to pick out names and at values from the same row

    Assuming the table is in cols A to C, data from row2 down

    > Income | Expanses | Memo
    > | 10.00 | Food
    > | 5.00 | Gas
    > | 15.00| Food

    Assume in say, E1 down is listed the text: Food, Gas, etc

    Put in F1:
    =SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(E1,$C$2:$C$10))),$B$2:$B$10)
    Copy F1 down

    Col F will return the required results

    Adapt the ranges to suit, but note that entire col references
    cannot be used in SUMPRODUCT

    And if the string search needs to be case sensitive,
    replace SEARCH with FIND in the formula
    (FIND is case sensitive)
    --
    Rgds