formatted numbers displayed as #####

  1. #1

    formatted numbers displayed as #####

    Another office phoned me about a problem they are having with excel. They had a large list of dates about 4600 columns long that were all displayed as one long string of numbers, i.e. like 021105. So they went to format them into dates and they all ended up going into #####. As I was looking through the help topics on Excel I found that numbers will be displayed like this if the column is not big enough in width. So I got them to do that but to no avail, they are still displayed as #####. Also while doing my own testing I found that even if they do get the numbers shown they will probably get nonsensical dates. For example, when I format using date (also did some custom formatting for the date but it does the same thing) my 21105 (as Excel deletes the front 0) turns into 12/10/57, when it should show up as 02/11/05. I thought this might be a problem with the 0 not showing up so I did 121105 but this shows up as 28/07/2231. I have very little experience with Excel, yet because I know the most about computers amongst the two offices they want me to figure everything out. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

    John Penner

  2. #2
    Ralphael1
    Guest

    Re: formatted numbers displayed as #####

    The ##### means the column is not wide enough to accommodate all the
    numbers.
    Try widening the column to 50 to see if the numbers appear. If the
    numbers appear you can tell how wide the column should be.

    Ralphael, the OLD one

  3. #3
    Ralphael1
    Guest

    Re: formatted numbers displayed as #####

    Looks like I put my keyboard in motion before engaging brain.
    Using your guidelines I did some experimenting and came up with the
    same results as you did.
    Really strange...

    Ralph, the OLD one

  4. #4
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    Re: formatted numbers displayed as #####

    John,

    Dates in XL are a countof the number of days since 1 January 1900 so day
    number 21,105 is 12 October 1957, that is why you get that date.

    When you say

    > So they
    > went to format them into dates and they all ended up going into #####.

    What actual format did they try to use?

    Sandy
    [email protected]
    Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    George Nicholson
    Guest

    Re: formatted numbers displayed as #####

    Use the Date function and string parsing to convert your text values into
    the numerical value required by excel to display a "proper" date:
    =DATE("20" & RIGHT(G4,2),MID(G4,3,2),LEFT(G4,2))
    The Date function arguments are Date(Year, Month, Day). I assume from your
    post that your text values are currently in ddmmyy format. If I'm wrong,
    just swap them around. (I'm also assuming *all* text values are 6 characters
    long)

    021105 will convert to 38658 (the number of days since 01/01/1900) and
    display (in dd/mm/yy format, which your post indicates you are using) as
    02/11/05.

    HTH,
    --
    George Nicholson

    Remove 'Junk' from return address.

    "NinaGrewalOff" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6

    Thanks

    Thanks for the Help. To SandyMan: From what I gather they used the format cells, number and than date and than probably the first one (they are gone from office so I need to call them tomorrow). I'm hoping that they are showing up as ##### through their own incompetence and they just didn't follow my instructions (I guess I'll see tomorrow). In regards to George: Thanks for the help it looks great on my computer and should work. Now the problem is that the numbers are probably not all 6 characters long as any of the first line that is under 10 will have the 0 in front which dissapears. I went to Tools>Options>View and clicked on zero values. Now the problem is that this only works for 0's that stand on their own, not 0's that are part of a string of numbers. Also, this document has already been created and the 0's are probably not even on there. Is there a function that I could create that says basically if digits=5 input 0 at the front of digits for lines d2-d4600. Which is assuming that I can allow zero's to show up at the front of numerical strings (which I assume must be possible). Thanks for the Help, John Penner

  7. #7
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    Re: formatted numbers displayed as #####

    > computer and should work. Now the problem is that the numbers are
    > probably not all 6 characters long as any of the first line that is
    > under 10 will have the 0 in front which dissapears. Try:

    =DATE(2000+RIGHT(A1,2),MID(A1,LEN(A1)-3,2),LEFT(A1,1+(LEN(A1)=6)))

    Sandy
    [email protected]
    Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk

    "NinaGrewalOff" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    CyberTaz
    Guest

    RE: formatted numbers displayed as #####

    Sorry to butt in, and certainly no disrespect for the expertise offered, but
    I'm not sure the point was clear for avoiding the problem continuing to
    happen once this occurence is corrected.

    When entering dates in Excel (typically, at least), the user _must also_
    type in the month/day/year delimiters regardless of the formatting applied to
    the cells, i.e.,

    9/15/2005 or 9-15-2005 (the first 2 digits of the year are optional).

    Just typing 9152005 is a number which XL _tries_ to convert to a date if the
    cell is formatted for Date/Time as indicated in Sandy's first reply.

    Also, leading 0s for the month & day need not be typed... it is the
    formatting of the cells that determine whether they display.

    Regards |:>)

  9. #9
    George Nicholson
    Guest

    Re: formatted numbers displayed as #####

    Given the problem as laid out (and for some of the reasons you site, or I'd
    wonder why did it take so long for the question to come up), I assume the OP
    has an imported set of data that he is trying to make usable for further
    work, not data that was being input for the first time.

    That said, preventing it from happening again may not be a) an issue or b)
    possible.

    --
    George Nicholson

    Remove 'Junk' from return address.

    news:[email protected]...

  10. #10
    CyberTaz
    Guest

    Re: formatted numbers displayed as #####

    Hi George-

    Quite a valid observation with _no_ dispute at all. I was simply picking up
    on the point made in the op;

    my 21105 (as Excel deletes the
    front 0) turns into 12/10/57, when it should show up as 02/11/05. I
    thought this might be a problem with the 0 not showing up so I did
    121105 but this shows up as 28/07/2231.

    which gave me the impression that wherever the original data was coming
    from, the attemp to solve the problem was being based on typing the content
    without the delimiters.

    I find that many newcomers to XL with experience in other predesigned apps
    tend to think of cell formatting as the equivalent of an Input Mask.

    Regards |:>)