phone numbers

  1. #1
    Tony R
    Guest

    phone numbers

    Sorry I am being a bit thick but I cannot convert my phone numbers to
    dialable numbers ie I cannot get the cell to show leading zeros eg 0044 ####
    ####.
    I can format the cells if I go to English (US) but that of course is no good
    to me in the UK!
    Help!

  2. #2
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: phone numbers

    You can either format the cells as text before you enter the number, or
    prefix the number with a ' , like '00855419871. The ' will display on the
    formula bar but not in the cell,
    Regards,
    Alan.
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: phone numbers

    Use 0 (zeros) instead of numeric pound signs if you want to ensure
    that you have a digits in the position. See formatting in help.
    For instance under formatting you will see special formatting has
    one for telephone numbers.

    One of the best ways to learn about formatting is to select a format
    that comes closest to what you want and then look at it in Custom
    Format.

    I would really suggest, if possible that entries of phone numbers are
    best done in text, then you are not restricted and can type in international
    numbers, include extensions etc.
    ---
    HTH,