Sorting

  1. #1
    Bill
    Guest

    Sorting

    Can anyone help please.

    Column a has numbers 1 thru 311
    Column b has the names of colours to match the numbers.

    What I need to do is to sort the names of colours in column b
    alphabetically, but retaining their present numbers, so if at present row
    200 is green and row 201 is azure, I want it to go 201 azure, 200 Green. I
    want the present numbers to stay with their colour. hope that makes sense.

    I can't do it!

    Thanks
    Bill

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Sorting

    Bill: Whenever you sort, as a rule, don't select the area (column) you're
    sorting by. If you simple click in, for instance, B2, and hit the sort
    button, the numbers should sort right along with the colors (and stay with
    them). However, your numbers can't be "calculated". In other words, if you
    have 200 in A2, and =A2+1 in A3, you must first convert these formulas to
    numbers by copy/edit/paste special, values, OK.
    ************
    Anne Troy
    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bill
    Guest

    Re: Sorting

    "Anne Troy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Bill: Whenever you sort, as a rule, don't select the area (column) you're
    > sorting by. If you simple click in, for instance, B2, and hit the sort
    > button, the numbers should sort right along with the colors (and stay with
    > them). However, your numbers can't be "calculated". In other words, if you
    > have 200 in A2, and =A2+1 in A3, you must first convert these formulas to
    > numbers by copy/edit/paste special, values, OK.
    > ************
    > Anne Troy
    > www.OfficeArticles.com

    Thanks Anne

    That's why they wouldn't sort, I did use a formula to run the numbers down.
    I will try and change them to numbers not formula.

    Thanks again
    Bill

  4. #4
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Sorting

    Okay, Bill. Just be sure to select all the cells that contain formulas. Hit
    Ctrl+C. Don't move! Then hit Edit-->Paste Special, choose Values, and hit
    OK. Now the formulas are gone and the numbers remain.
    ************

  5. #5
    Bill
    Guest

    Re: Sorting (Anne)

    "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone help please.
    >
    > Column a has numbers 1 thru 311
    > Column b has the names of colours to match the numbers.
    >
    > What I need to do is to sort the names of colours in column b
    > alphabetically, but retaining their present numbers, so if at present row
    > 200 is green and row 201 is azure, I want it to go 201 azure, 200 Green. I
    > want the present numbers to stay with their colour. hope that makes
    > sense.
    >
    > I can't do it!
    >
    > Thanks
    > Bill
    >The sorting is sorted thanks to a good sort on here. Many thanks. Had a
    >play as well and found out a few other bits.

    All the best
    Bill